Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-syslog-dtls-05.txt

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 09:45:40 +0200

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-syslog-dtls-05.txt
Reviewer: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Review Date: 17-May-2010
IETF LC End Date: 20-May-2010
IETF Telechat Date: 20-May-2010

Summary: The document is ready for publication as a standards track RFC.

Major issues: none

Minor issues:

- In Section 5.3, the last sentence of the first paragraph reads:

    "When the DTLS handshake has
    finished, the transport sender MAY then send the first syslog
    message."

I think what you really want to say is:

    "The transport sender MUST NOT send any syslog message before the
     DTLS handshake has successfully completed."

- I noticed that IANA picked well their actions. However, it would be 
better if, in the second paragraph of Section 8, you specified that the 
registry where IANA needs to operate is the "Service Code subregisty of 
the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Parameters registry".

Nits/editorial comments:

- Section 5.3, second paragraph. It would be nice to have a reference to 
the TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA cipher suite.

- Section 5.4.1: It would be nice to add a formal reference to RFC 5425 
when it is mentioned.

- Third paragraph in Secction 6: s/udp/UDP

- idnits reveals:

Outdated reference: draft-ietf-syslog-sign has been published as RFC 5848

/Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain