Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-softwire-ds-lite-tunnel-option-03

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:06:40 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-softwire-ds-lite-tunnel-option-03
Reviewer: Suresh Krishnan
Review Date: 2010/08/10
IESG Telechat date: 2010/08/12

Summary: This document has some minor issues that need to be fixed 
before publication as a Proposed Standard.

Minor
======

* Section 2

- From the following text

"To inform the B4 of the AFTR's location, either an IPv6 address or
  Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) may be used."

it is not clear whether both these options can be used together or if 
they are mutually exclusive (even though section 6 clarifies this 
later). Can you please clarify? Propose using

"To inform the B4 of the AFTR's location, either an IPv6 address or
  Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) or both may be used."

* Section 3

- Option length

"The client validates the DS-Lite Address option by confirming the
  option is of 16 octets in length or greater.  The client MUST ignore
  any tunnel-endpoint-addr shorter than 16 octets."

Since the option format clearly states that the option len should be 
precisely 16, and there is no reason for a client to accept a option len 
greater than 16 bytes. Can you please reword to something like

"The client validates the DS-Lite Address option by confirming the
  option is of 16 octets in length. The client MUST ignore any 
tunnel-endpoint-addr that is not 16 octets in length."

* Section 5

- There is no text restricting the server from inserting multiple 
OPTION_DS_LITE_ADDR and OPTION_DS_LITE_NAME options.

* Section 6

I do not feel strongly about this but I am not sure if it is appropriate 
for this draft to describe the B4 behavior on receipt of this option. 
Should this text be removed?

"The client (B4) SHOULD establish a softwire tunnel to the 
tunnel-endpoint-addr  IPv6 address it determines from either of these 
options."

- There is no text restricting the client from receiving and processing 
multiple OPTION_DS_LITE_ADDR and OPTION_DS_LITE_NAME options.

Thanks
Suresh