Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review for draft-turner-md2-to-historic-05

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:42:18 -0500

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-turner-md2-to-historic
Reviewer: Kathleen Moriarty
Review Date: November 9, 2010
IETF LC End Date: November 9, 2010
IESG Telechat date: (if known)

Summary:  This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits that should be fixed before publication.
The intent of this draft is to retire the MD2 message digest algorithm and providing the justification.  This draft also requests that RFC 1319 be moved to historic.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Nits/editorial comments:
Section 4: Impact of Moving MD2 to Historic
The first bullet in the subsection "Regarding PS RFCs:" starts with Further, however it is the first bullet so I recommend changing it to read:
"MD2 support in TLS was dropped in TLS 1.1"

Section 7: Recommendation
I recommend breaking the first paragraph into two sentences as follows:

Despite MD2 seeing some deployment on the Internet, this
   specification recommends obsoleting MD2.  MD2 is not a
   reasonable candidate for further standardization and should be
   deprecated in favor of one or more existing hash algorithms (e.g.,
   SHA-256 [SHS]).

I apologize for the slow turn around on this review.  Work has been hectic!

Thank you,
Kathleen

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:03:47 +0800

Kathleen,

Thanks for the review.  I'll fix these up in the next version.

spt