Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-seconds-02.txt

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:14:30 -0500

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-seconds-02.txt
Reviewer: Suresh Krishnan
Review Date: 2010/11/16
IESG Telechat date: 2010/11/18

Summary: This draft is almost ready for publication as a Proposed
Standard but it has one minor issue.

Minor
=====

* RFC5230 describes a site-defined maximum value for the :days parameter 
and this draft describes a similar maximum for the :seconds parameter. 
It is unclear how these two maximums will interact. Say

The site defined maximum for :days is 30 and that for :seconds is 
2678400 (31 days)

If the value of :seconds as specified is 2678300 will it get truncated 
down to 2592000 (30 days) or will it be used as is since it is less than 
2678400?

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:58:10 +0000

Hi Suresh,
Thank you for the review.

Suresh Krishnan wrote:

> * RFC5230 describes a site-defined maximum value for the :days 
> parameter and this draft describes a similar maximum for the :seconds 
> parameter. It is unclear how these two maximums will interact. Say
>
> down to 2592000 (30 days) or will it be used as is since it is less 
> than 2678400?

The :seconds maximum only applies if :second is specified. Similarly for 
:days. (:seconds and :days parameters are mutually exclusive). So, IMHO, 
there is no interaction between maximums.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:37:22 +0800

> there is no interaction between maximums.

Indeed; they are entirely independent parameters, and that's clear in
the specification.

Barry