Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-art LC review of draft-cheshire-dnsext-nbp-09.txt

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:15:15 +0000

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-cheshire-dnsext-nbp-09
Reviewer: Elwyn Davies
Review Date: 2010-11-23
IETF LC End Date: 2010-11-23
IESG Telechat date: (if known)

Summary:
This document has at least one open issue that I believe needs fixing, either by altering the scope of the 
applicability of the solution or fixing the requirements.  The requirements envisage a protocol that could 
be used in an enterprise environment but it does not address issues of visibility and accessibility.  This
issue is clearly related to the security requirements that have been discussed elsewhere but differs from 
the authentication and general authorization aspects that have been the focus there.  I believe that
there needs to be discussion of how the service discovery can be controlled so that individual users/machines
are only informed of services that they might be allowed to use.  There should be some discussion of this
issue beyond what is given peripherally in s3.11.  Maybe this should be in s3.7, 3.10 or s3.11 (or maybe 
all of the above.)  I suspect this is not an easy problem to solve in a zeroconf configuration.

Otherwise the document is well written and clear, and I could not immediately think of any other aspect 
that had been missed or inadequately covered.

Nits:
[refreshingly free of nits!]
The only comment might be that a pointer to some publically available definition or discussion of the 
existing Appletalk NBP miight be helpful if such a thing exists.
Also idnits suggests that RFC 2462 should be replaced by RFC4862 which obsoleted it.