Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat Review of draft-ietf-dhc-pd-exclude-04

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:35:35 -0500

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
< http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-dhc-pd-exclude-04
Reviewer: Peter McCann
Review Date: 2012-02-15
IETF LC End Date:
IESG Telechat date: 2012-02-16

Summary: Ready

Major issues: None

Minor issues:

Might want to point out that when the requesting router sends router
advertisements downstream,
it cannot simply advertise the whole delegated prefix but must instead
advertise chunks of it that
do not include the excluded prefix.  This may introduce complications
and extra overhead.

Nits/editorial comments: None

---

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:33:47 +0200

Pete,

Thanks for the review. Agree that in general having a hole in otherwise 
continuous prefix is guaranteed to cause always some undesired side effects.

Regarding sending RAs I don't this it will be much of an issue, though.
Assuming SLAAC is used, then the requesting router would anyway be sending
a /64 in each RA on its downstream interfaces, thus chopping the delegated
prefix into a number of smaller prefixes. And if each downstream interface
have their own /64 prefix, then including a summary prefix shorter than /64
does not really work.

- Jouni