Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-meth-08

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 09:24:45 +0100

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>

Please resolve these comments along with any other comments you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-meth-08
Reviewer: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Review Date: 2013-04-02
IETF LC End Date: 2013-01-30

Summary: The document is on track for publication as an Informational 
RFC, but has some issues that should be addressed before publication.

Major issues: none

Minor issues:

- Please expand acronyms at first usage. In particular, I didn't find a 
description of what "IM" is. Are you referring to Instant Messaging?

- Continuing with the previous one, now on Section 6.13. If you refer to 
Instant Messaging, then it is not clear to to me if you are benchmarking 
the one-shot Instant Message produced by the SIP MESSAGE method or if you 
are benchmarking the session-based Instant Messaging created with SIP and 
instantiated with MSRP. Please clarify what you are benchmarking and 
please add a reference to an RFC that defines the IM that you are 
benchmarking.

Nits/editorial comments:

- General: to avoid confusion, the text should add reference to other 
protocols when they are mentioned in the text. This includes: RTP, SRTP, 
perhaps event TCP and UDP, although these two should be clear for everyone.

- Section 4.1 The text says:

    Test cases may be performed with any transport protocol supported by
    SIP.  This includes, but is not limited to, SIP TCP, SIP UDP, and
    TLS.

   My comment: SIP TCP and SIP UDP are not transport protocols. TCP and 
UDP are transport protocols.

- Section 4.4. The text says:

    The test cases specified in this document provide SIP performance
    independent of the protocol used for the media stream.  Any media
    protocol supported by SIP may be used.  This includes, but is not
    limited to, RTP, RTSP, and SRTP...

   My comment: As far as I know, RTSP, specified in RFC 2326. is NOT a 
media protocol, and SIP is not intended to establish RTSP sessions.

/Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain