Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Last Call review ofdraft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication-04.txt

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 00:10:43 -0500

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication-04

For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at 
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments 
you may receive.

Summary: This draft is almost ready for publication as a Proposed 
Standard but I have one issue that probably needs further clarification 
in the draft.

* Section 7

I am not sure how the following MUST NOT is testable.

"First of all, RTP duplication MUST NOT be used
  in cases where the primary cause of packet loss is congestion since
  duplication can make congestion only worse."

I my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) neither the source of the 
duplication nor the destination will know whether the packet loss was 
due to congestion or something else. Can you please clarify how this 
"MUST NOT" would be followed?

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 12:03:06 +0000

Hi Suresh,

The text in section 7 says why this method is good for managed networks and is not for unmanaged networks. In managed environments, you have a pretty good idea of what is happening. By design, there should not be any congestion problems in such networks anyway (for the managed traffic). So, a provider who will deploy this will know whether dupping is a good solution for them or not.

Thanks.
-acbegen
________________________________________
From: Suresh Krishnan [[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 12:10 AM
To: General Area Review Team; [email-masked]
Subject: Gen-ART Last Call review ofdraft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication-04.txt

* Section 7

Thanks
Suresh