Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART telechat review of draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-14.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 17:18:01 +1300

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-14.txt
Reviewer: Brian Carpenter
Review Date: 2013-12-15
IETF LC End Date: 2013-12-23
IESG Telechat date: 2014-02-06

Summary:  Almost ready
--------

Comments:
---------

Most of my LC comments were resolved, but one small change is
expected (see below). Also the IESG has to fix the nit mentioned
below.

Note: http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1364/

Minor Issue:
-----------

"5.6.  Forwarding the overload control parameters

   Overload control is defined in a hop-by-hop manner.  Therefore,
   forwarding the contents of the overload control parameters is
   generally NOT RECOMMENDED and should only be performed if permitted
   by the configuration of SIP servers.  This means that a SIP proxy
   SHOULD strip the overload control parameters inserted by the client
   before proxying the request further downstream."

I think the reader should be reminded at this point that the proxy also
behaves as a client, so will immediately re-insert its own "oc" parameters.
(In fact it would be very odd if the proxy supported overload control
upstream but not downstream.)  Vijay suggested: I can insert the following
sentence as the last sentence of the lone paragraph in S5.6:

   "Of course, the proxy can add overload control parameters pertinent
    to itself in the Via header it inserts in the request going
    downstream."

This would be fine.

Nit:
----

I hope this is a nit: the Last Call says it's for "Internet Standard"
but surely it's intended to be "Proposed Standard"?

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:12:48 -0600

> Minor Issue:

Brian: Thank you for the review.  I have added the above sentence.

I will close the loop and ping you when I release -15 after the
quarantine period.

Cheers,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/  | Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq