Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-grow-bmp-15

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:49:02 -0500

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-grow-bmp-15
Reviewer: Vijay K. Gurbani
Review Date: Oct-14-2015
IETF LC End Date: Not known
IESG Telechat date: Oct-15-2015

This document is ready as a Proposed Standard with two minor nits.

Major: 0
Minor: 2
Nits:  0

Minor:
- S3.2,, first paragraph: "No message is ever sent from the monitoring
    station to the monitored router."
  You mean "No BMP message is ever sent from the monitoring station to
  the monitored router."?  I suspect that the monitoring station can send
  TCP messages (SYN, ACK, etc.) to the monitored router in order to open
  up the TCP connection, no?

- S3.2, last paragraph: "If the monitoring station intends to end or
    restart BMP processing, it simply drops the connection, optionally
    with a Termination message."
  The monitoring station cannot send a (BMP?) message to the monitored
  router, right?  If so, I don't understand the utility of the
  Termination method above.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/  | Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 02:32:37 +0300

Thanks for the review, Vijay. Good questions. Do the authors have an answer?

Jari

On 15 Oct 2015, at 00:49, Vijay K. Gurbani <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Gen-art mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: John Scudder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:18:59 -0400

Thanks for the review, Vijay. Answers in-line below.

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 7:32 PM, Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Yes, of course. I would be happy for your suggested change to be made (insert "BMP" into the sentence). I'll make this change when we issue a new version (which it looks like we will, based on the security discusses).

>> Termination method above

Wow, good catch, I have no idea what I was thinking. This could be resolved by either dropping the final "optionally with a termination message" clause, or by changing "monitoring station" to "router". I'm inclined to drop the offending final clause and have tentatively made this change for the next version.

Regards, 

– John

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:18:57 -0500

John: With respect to your responses in [1] to my Gen-ART review, I am
fine with your proposed resolutions.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gen-art/current/msg12397.html

Cheers,

- vijay