Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-04.txt

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 04:15:16 +0000

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD before
posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-04.txt
Reviewer: Suresh Krishnan
Review Date: 2015/11/17
IESG Telechat date: 2015/11/19

Summary: The draft is almost ready for publication as a Proposed Standard but 
I do have a major issue that needs to be addressed.

Major
=====

* Section 5.2

The draft is a bit underspecified on how the THIRD_PARTY_ID carried in the 
option is compared to existing entries in the mapping table in the processing 
of request messages. Given that the option itself is loosely specified 
(allowing pretty much anything to be used as the ID) I think it is going to 
be very difficult to realize interoperable implementations unless the 
comparison method is clearly specified. e.g. Consider one of the options for 
THIRD_PARTY_ID described in the document - the MAC address. It could be 
carried as 48 bits binary (aabbccddeeff), hyphen delimited string of hex 
digits ("aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff") , colon delimited string of hex digits 
("aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff") with upper case and lower case variants. If you intend 
this to be an exact bit by bit comparison, it would be helpful if you state 
it explicitly. If not, please state that as well.

Minor
=====

* IANA considerations

"  [NOTE for IANA: Please allocate a PCP Option Code at
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/pcp-parameters/pcp-
    parameters.xml#option-rules]"

The URL for this registry is wrong. Did you mean

http://www.iana.org/assignments/pcp-parameters/pcp-parameters.xml#options

instead?

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 00:31:43 +0200

Hmm. Thanks for your review, Suresh. Authors, any comments?

Jari

On 18 Nov 2015, at 06:15, Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Gen-art mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 22:52:50 +0000

Dear Suresh,

Thank you for your helpful comments.
Please find replies inline.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Suresh Krishnan [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Mittwoch, 18. November 2015 05:15
> To: [email-masked]; General Area Review Team
> Subject: Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-04.txt
> 

This is a very good catch. We will address this issue in the next revision of the draft 
and make sure we specify the comparison precisely.

> parameters.xml#options

Yes. Thanks. We will fix it.

Best regards,
    Juergen