Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305-04 - resend

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:50:47 +0300

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive.

Document:  draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305-04

Reviewer: Roni Even

Review Date:2016-3-28

IETF LC End Date: 2016-4-9

IESG Telechat date: 

Summary: This draft is almost ready for publication as a standard track
RFC.

Major issues:

I am wondering why this is a standard track document and not informational
since the registration requirements are specification required.  (RFC5246)

I am also wondering why this document updates RFC5246 and RFC6347.  Reading
the document it looked to me that the registration document is used also to
endorse this cypher suite by the IETF and if this is the case my view is
that there should be two documents, one Informational for registration and
the will be standard track and update RFC5246 and RFC6347

For Example the following text from section 1 "Therefore, a new stream
cipher to replace RC4 and address all the  previous issues is needed. "
provides what may look as a normative recommendation.

Minor issues:

Nits/editorial comments: