Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-avtext-avpf-ccm-layered-03

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 15:05:16 -0500

Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]> writes:
> Compared to certain other SDOs, IETF RFCs
> commonly contain a lot of explanatory text, examples and such, which
> is most often purely informative.  If such text were collected in
> distinct sections, I believe it is a good (and unfortunately
> underutilized) idea to label those sections as informative.

As you say, it's very common to have sections of documents from other
SDOs marked "non-normative" or "This section is not normative."  It's
less common to put such an annotation in the section title, but we did
that in RFC 7462 to make sure the reader wouldn't make a mistake:

   12.  Non-normative Algorithm for Handling Combinations of URNs

   The following text is a non-normative example of an algorithm for
   handling combinations of URNs that complies with the rules in
   Sections 10 and 11.  Thus, it demonstrates that the rules are
   consistent and implementable.  (Of course, a device may use any other
   algorithm that complies with Sections 10 and 11.)

Dale