Subject: [Gen-art] Review of draft-ietf-lmap-information-model-17

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 13:09:50 -0800

Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review result: Almost Ready

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

For more information, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-lmap-information-model-17
Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review Date: 2017-02-26
IETF LC End Date: 2017-03-08
IESG Telechat date: Unknown

Summary: Ready

Major Concerns:

Section 3.1 says that the pre-configuration information contains
the certificate of the Controller or the certificate of the CA
which issued the certificate for the Controller.  Section 3.1.1
includes ma-preconfig-credentials.  Are these the same?

Section 6 says that secure communication channels are needed.  This
means
that some components of this system (at least the Controller) must
have
secret keys or private keys.  I think that Section 6 should talk
about
which components of this system have keys and the consequences if the
keys are not well protected.

Minor Concerns:

The Introduction in RFC 7594 says: "There is a desire to be able
to coordinate the execution of broadband measurements and the
collection of measurement results across a large scale set of
Measurement Agents (MAs)."  The Fact that LMAP is about broadband
measurements should be stated in the first paragraph of the
Introduction of this document.

Nits:

In Section 3, the reason for the 6 categories should probably be
placed before the list instead of several paragraphs later.

In 3.1: s/If the MA ID is not provided at this stage then/
         /If the MA ID is not provided at this stage, then/