Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-05

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:15:52 -0800

Reviewer: Pete Resnick
Review result: Ready with Issues

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-0
Reviewer: Pete Resnick
Review Date: 2018-12-19
IETF LC End Date: 2018-12-18
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary: Ready with some nits, but one process issue/query.

Major issues: None

Minor issues:

This document is intended for Proposed Standard. It doesn't have protocol as
much as operational configuration information for integration. RFC 2026 section
5 says:

   The BCP subseries of the RFC series is designed to be a way to
   standardize practices and the results of community deliberations.
   [...]
   Historically Internet standards have generally been concerned with
   the technical specifications for hardware and software required for
   computer communication across interconnected networks.  However,
   since the Internet itself is composed of networks operated by a great
   variety of organizations, with diverse goals and rules, good user
   service requires that the operators and administrators of the
   Internet follow some common guidelines for policies and operations.

That sounds like what this document is doing. It also sounds like this document
is unlike to advance to Internet Standard, as there's not the kind of iterative
implementation that protocols go through. It's not a big deal either way, but
this does seem better suited to a BCP.

Nits/editorial comments:

Abstract: s/draft/document/g

Introduction: "Many Service Providers (SPs) who...". You don't use "SP"
anywhere else in the document, and other places where you use the phrase it
isn't capitalized. Suggest just saying "Many service providers who..."

§1, Definitions:

   (PBB-)VPLS: refers to both, PBB-VPLS and VPLS. As for EVPN, this
   abbreviation is used when the text applies to both technologies.

It says EVPN in the second sentence. I don't understand. Did you mean VPLS?

§2: The 4 "MUST"s and 1 "MAY" aren't requirements on the implementation;
they're the requirements this document will satisfy. Seems like they shouldn't
be capitalized.

§3.2, second bullet, 3.4.1, last paragraph, §4.2, second bullet, and §4.4.1,
last paragraph: Why are the "must"s not capitalized?