Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-10

From: Russ Housley via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:23:26 -0700

Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review result: Ready with Nits

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-10
Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review Date: 2019-06-22
IETF LC End Date: 2019-07-04
IESG Telechat date: Unknown

Summary: Ready with Nits

Major Concerns:

None

Minor Concerns:

None

Nits:

Section 3.7.2 says:

   ...  A node SHOULD NOT send triggered updates
   for other reasons, such as when there is a minor fluctuation in a
   route's metric, when the selected next hop changes, or to propagate a
   new sequence number (except to satisfy a request, as specified in
   Section 3.8).

This seem backwards to me.  Perhaps:

   ...  The node MUST send triggered updates to satisfy a request, as
   specified in Section 3.8; however, a node SHOULD NOT send
   triggered updates for other reasons, including a minor fluctuation
   in a metric for a route, the selected next hop changes, or to
   propagate a new sequence number.

Section 4 says:

   A Babel packet is sent as the body of a UDP datagram, with network-
   layer hop count set to 1, destined to a well-known multicast address
   or to a unicast address, over IPv4 or IPv6; in the case of IPv6,
   these addresses are link-local.
   
It seems to me that this should be reworded as MUST statements.

   A Babel packet MUST be sent as the body of a UDP datagram, with
   network-layer hop count set to 1, destined to a well-known multicast
   address or to a unicast address, over either IPv4 or IPv6.  When
   IPv6 addresses are used, the addresses MUST be link-local.

Section 4.1.2 says:

   A router-id is an arbitrary 8-octet value.  A router-id MUST NOT
   consist of either all zeroes or all ones.
   
I do not think you are referring to octets with a value of one.  I
think you mean that the router-id cannot be 0x0000000000000000 or
0xffffffffffffffff.  Please reword.

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 02:38:56 +0200

Dear Russ,

Thank you very much for your review.  I agree with all of your comments
save one, I'll publish a new revision taking your comments into account as
soon as possible.

>    propagate a new sequence number.

I disagree.  The requirement to send triggered updates is already present
in 3.8.1.1, we should not repeat it.  This section is concerned with
avoiding excessive noise.

   
> It seems to me that this should be reworded as MUST statements.

Agreed.

   
> 0xffffffffffffffff.  Please reword.

Agreed.

Thanks again,

-- Juliusz

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 08:23:45 -0400

> avoiding excessive noise.

I defer to your experience.

Russ

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:29:48 +0200

Done in -11.  Thanks again for your review.

-- Juliusz