Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Last Call review of draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-33 UPDATED

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 16:39:19 -0400

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-33
Reviewer: Paul Kyzivat
Review Date: 2019-07-09
IETF LC End Date: 2019-07-18
IESG Telechat date: ?

Summary:

[This is a revision to the first version I sent out, that had a number 
of mistakes.]

This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits that should 
be fixed before publication.

Issues:

Major: 0
Minor: 0
Nits:  2

1) NIT:

Section 4 says:

    If a BGP message with a Length greater than 4,096 octets is received
    by a BGP listener who has not advertised the Extended Message
    Capability, the listener MUST treat this as a malformed message, and
    MUST generate a NOTIFICATION with the Error Subcode set to Bad
    Message Length (see [RFC4271] Sec 6.1).

The "MUST" seems inappropriate because this is not new normative 
behavior. Rather it is the existing behavior, as it states. This is 
already covered by the 2nd paragraph of Section 5, so why does it need 
to be covered here as well?

2) NIT:

Reading the last two security considerations in section 8 leaves me 
concerned. I was expecting to see some further discussion of how these 
issues can be mitigated, or why it is OK that they are not.

Otherwise this short document seems to be in good shape.