Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-rmcat-wireless-tests-08

From: Gyan Mishra via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 15:45:40 -0800

Reviewer: Gyan Mishra
Review result: Ready with Issues

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Reviewer: Gyan Mishra
Review result: Ready with Minor Issues

Document: draft-ietf-rmcat-wireless-tests-08
Reviewer: Gyan Mishra
Review Date: 2020-01-17
IETF LC End Date: 2020-01-21
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary: Ready, but with nits and minor issues that should be addressed.

Major issues: None

Minor issues:  This document describes test cases for evaluating performance of
RTP congestion control algorithms over LTE & WIFI networks.

Section 1 It is mentioned a number of instance where “wired” is mentioned where
I believe “wireless” or “WIFI” is what is meant to be stated.  Please check.

I would recommend  to use WIFI to refer to local LAN WIFI and use cellular to
refer to a mobile handset, and not use the term “wireless” as that could be
confusing.

I would recommend not using LTE to refer to Cellular from a general mobile
handset point of view, since LTE refers to 4G and Cellular could be any -
2G,3G,4G,5G etc

Section 3 This section also mentioned “wired” where I think the goal of the
document is test cases of WIFI & Cellular and adding in wired does confuse the
reader as we are talking about quality degradation issues with wireless
technologies - WIFI & Cellular.  Please check the verbiage.

Section 3 In this sentence you mention 3G support of high bandwidth.  My
experience with 3G has not been very slow page loading and that multimedia
would suffer.

Section 3 Bottom of page 5 it is mentioned that the combination of multiple
access technologies such as one user has LTE connection and another has Wi-Fi
connection is kept out of the scope of this document.  Please explain why as
the reader would believe it would be in scope as that is the main topic.

Section 3 Top of page 6 - I am wondering if there is a better explanation of
why you need a test simulator due to unpredictable nature or cellular other
than underground mines.

Section 3.1.1 Here the fixed user is on a wired LAN connected to mobile user. 
You mention wireless interface which makes me wonder is the fixed user actually
a WIFI user connected to broadband WIFI router wired to the internet. See in
quotes which makes me wonder "The fixed user is connected to the Internet via
wired connection with sufficiently high bandwidth, for instance, 10 Gbps, so
that the system is resource limited on the {wireless?} interface"

Section 4.1 Please explain in why the home access link represents a bottleneck
due to its bandwidth. It is not obvious as these days Gigabit and above
broadband speeds are available at home.

Nits/editorial comments:

Draft Date should to be updated.

Section 3.1.2  1-B Antenna- [2D, 3D] should be defined
Section 3.1.2 RTT [40, 150] , should define a unit millisecond
Section 3.1.2 4. User Intensity, should define what the values in brackets mean
and unit of measure. Section 3.1.2 7.2.a Media direction: Uplink and Downlink, 
should define what is meant by Uplink and Downlink Section 4.2.3 g N= [4, 8,
12, 16, 20], should define what N is and any unit of measure

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art