Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-alto-cdni-request-routing-alto-16

From: Russ Housley via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 07:38:08 -0700

Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review result: Almost Ready

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

For more information, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-alto-cdni-request-routing-alto-16
Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review Date: 2021-08-19
IETF LC End Date: 2021-08-30
IESG Telechat date: unknown

Summary: Almost Ready

Major Concerns:

Section 2.2, "Security" bullet: it says:

   o  Security: The identification between uCDNs and dCDNs is an
      important requirement.  ALTO maps can be signed and hence provide
      inherent integrity protection.  Please see Section 8.

Section 8 does not talk about digital signatures.  Please add this
discussion to Section 8.  In addition, if the digital signature is done
well, it would provide both authentication and integrity protection.

Section 5.6, 3rd paragraph after bullets:  I do not understand the
second MUST statement in this paragraph.  The sentence seems to contain
a mix of defining the superset and a MUST statement.  I cannot suggest
a rewording.

Minor Concerns:

Section 1:  I think that the Introduction would be improved by
stating very early that this document specifies an extension of the
base ALTO protocol.

Section 4.2.4 includes:

     data:     "/cdni-advertisement/capabilities-with-footprints
     /0/footprints/0/footprint-value/-",
     data:     "value": "germany"

Since Section 6.1.2.2 says that a countrycode domain is encoded
as an ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code in lowercase, I was surprised to see
"germany" in this example.

Nits:

General: Sometimes this document says "ALTO" and other times it says
"The ALTO protocol". Please be consistent.

Abstract: I think the Abstract can be improved.  I suggest:

   The Content Delivery Networks Interconnection (CDNI) framework in
   RFC 6707 defines a set of protocols to interconnect CDNs to achieve
   multiple goals, including extending the reach of a given CDN.  A CDNI
   Request Routing Footprint & Capabilities Advertisement interface
   (FCI) is needed to achieve the goals of a CDNI.  RFC 8008 defines
   precisely the semantics of FCI and provides guidelines on the FCI
   protocol, but the exact protocol is specified.  This document
   specifies a FCI protocol as an extension to the Application-Layer
   Traffic Optimization (ALTO) protocol, and it follows the guidelines
   in RFC 8008.  

Section 2.1, 4th bullet: please remove "(" and ")" in this text:
"... prefix set (or ASN, respectively)."

Section 2.1, last bullet: s/prior agreed/previously agreed/

Section 2.1, last bullet: s/uCDN (upstream CDN)/uCDN/

Section 2.2, bullets:  Please pick one style and use it for all of the
bullets.  Some end with "(see Section X).", and others end with
"Please see Section X.".  Please be consistent.

Section 2.2, 1st bullet: please make two bullets, one for
Application Layer-oriented, and another for CDNI.

Section 7.1, Table 1: Please adjust the table so that the media subtype
is not split across two lines.  Without changing the column widths, I
suggest:

   +----------------+-------------------------+------------------------+
   | Type           | Subtype                 | Specification          |
   +----------------+-------------------------+------------------------+
   | application    | alto-cdni+json          | Section 3 of RFCthis   |
   |                |                         |                        |
   | application    | alto-cdnifilter+json    | Section 5 of RFCthis   |
   |                |                         |                        |
   +----------------+-------------------------+------------------------+

   [RFC Editor: Please replace RFCthis with the published RFC number for
   this document.]