Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-policy-14

From: David Schinazi via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 10:57:37 -0800

Reviewer: David Schinazi
Review result: Ready with Issues

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at
<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-policy-14
Reviewer: David Schinazi
Review Date: 2021-11-12
IETF LC End Date: 2021-11-24
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary: Well written document. A few minor issues which should be trivial to
address.

Major issues: None

Minor issues:
- in s2.7, please specify if a higher number is more preferred or less preferred
- in s5.1, I would replace "A Segment-List of an explicit candidate path MUST
be declared invalid when:" with "A Segment-List of an explicit candidate path
MUST be declared invalid when any of the following is true:" (unless you mean
"all of the following"

Nits/editorial comments:
- the term headend is never defined. If it's a term of art in this area perhaps
a reference to the document that defines it would help? But if every reader is
expected to know the term because of the required context then that might be OK.

---

From: Ketan Talaulikar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 08:25:41 +0530

Hi David,

Thanks for your review and please check in-line below.

> - in s2.7, please specify if a higher number is more preferred or less
KT> Higher value is more preferred. This is specified in 2.9, but I agree
it is better to also say so in 2.7. Will fix it in the next update.

> MUST be declared invalid when any of the following is true:" (unless you
KT> Good catch. Indeed it is "any". Will fix it in the next update.

> expected to know the term because of the required context then that might
KT> It is a term that is expected to be known but I agree it is helpful to
explain. I'll propose the following text in bold in the introduction:

Segment Routing [RFC8402] allows a headend node to steer a packet flow
along any path. *The headend is a node where the instructions for source
routing (i.e. segments) are instantiated into the packet and hence becomes
the starting node for a specific segment routing path.* Intermediate
per-path states are eliminated thanks to source routing.

Thanks,
Ketan

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 09:51:11 -0800

That sounds great, thanks!
David