Subject: Re: Consent

From: Christopher Sipes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:06:59 -0400

Adam,
My understanding now is, that, an additional parameter must be sent at the 
time of transmission, which includes the callers ID...might this be sent 
simply as their MAC address, so, if necessary, down the road somewhere, 
they might be contacted for consentual provision of personal information?
Chris

    || Chris Sipes | Web Developer | Forrester Research, Inc. | 400 
Technology Square | Cambridge, MA 02139 |  email: [email-masked] | 
617.613.6009 ||

Adam Shostack <[email-masked]>
08/20/2001 02:46 PM

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc: 
        Subject:        Consent

I'm finding myself asking a lot of questions about what people mean by
phrases they use including the word "consent."

May I suggest that we use the following terminology:

Consentual-disclosure:  The end-user has chosen to reveal
information.  This choice is freely given, not mandated or required. 

Mandated-disclosure:    There is a legal requirement to reveal
information.

Needed-disclosure: There is a requirement to reveal the
information in order to make the service work.  For example, if I call
1-800-find-gas to get the nearest gas station, I may expect that my
location will be transmitted.

Explicit-consent-action: The user performs a GUI action to reveal or
conceal information at the time of the request

Default-conset-action: The user has set a preference for some
recipient, class of recipient, etc. 

Adam