Subject: RE: full integrity?

From: Dan Greening <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:26:47 -0700

I like the "telling them to stuff it" idea over providing false
information.

You could choose to send a generic error message that doesn't
distinguish between a policy rejection and a system inability to provide
the location.  This way a recipient can't tell if it's the policy or the
infrastructure that is causing the problem.  There are some problems
with providing false information.  If recipients act on that false
information, it seems to me that lawsuits are highly likely.

Dan Greening, Ph.D.  CEO, BigTribe Corporation 
              330 Townsend Street, Suite 209, San Francisco, CA
94107-1662 
              [email-masked]  +1(415)995-7151  fax 995-7155

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Bush [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 2:00 PM
To: Randall Gellens
Cc: Dan Greening; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: full integrity?

> I was trying to get an idea of how wg participants felt about 
> accuracy adjustments being the primary method of disclosure control, 
> as opposed to also allowing multiple locations.
> 
> The example I gave was in the context of some protocol where geopriv 
> is used, I ask you for something, before you reply you ask me for my 
> location.  I don't want you to know where I am.  I can either send 
> you a vague location, or I can send you multiple locations, one of 
> which is correct.

or i can tell you to stuff it.  this would be my default mode.
though, for my mobile phone, i am tempted to allow folk to know
in what time zone i am, or, more usefully to them, what time of
day it is where my mobile phone is.

randy

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 20:29:45 -0400

> information, it seems to me that lawsuits are highly likely.

Ah, I'm _with_ Randy. In fact, I'm in the same resolution cell. Heck, I _am_
Randy. What part of this rates a MUST NOT, assuming Randy and I are consenting
adults (with obscure peering arraingements)? For what technical reason?

Eric