Subject: RE: [Geopriv] Re: draft-jones-radius-geopriv

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:09:25 -0600

As Hannes suggested earlier in this thread, there were significant
reservations in the geopriv working group about standardizing the DHCP-LCI
format at all, since it is obviously an end-run which did not meet our
requirements or charter. We thought, perhaps naively, that by confining this
object format to the realm of "configuration" and slapping some weak,
non-normative applicability statements on it, we could avoid the unguarded
transmission of the LCI format over the public Internet. There are many DHCP
environments (not all, certainly) in which configuration information is only
sent over an essentially closed network, and by a coincidence those are the
environments in which it is most likely that a DHCP server would actually be
able to determine the geographical location of client.

RADIUS, I think, has a very different sort of usage in the Internet at
large. While I wouldn't characterize it primarily as a "configuration"
protocol, I can see the logic in connecting the LCI work with RADIUS,
certainly. I do think that we would do so at the expense of the privacy
goals of our charter. RADIUS is much less likely to be used in the sort of
controlled, private environment that made the standardization of LCI for
DHCP palatable.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 8:47 AM
> To: Henning Schulzrinne
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [Geopriv] Re: draft-jones-radius-geopriv
> 
> 
> > Why not re-use the encoding used in the civil version for DHCP?
> > Compression will not help significantly unless you use a SIGCOMP
> > approach and your dictionary is exactly right. The complexity of doing
> > that boggles the mind.
> 
> Yes, that is the simplest thing that comes to mind.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Geopriv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv
> 

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv