Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Location objects

From: "Mark Lewis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:44:40 -0500

I would also submit that an additional "field" that provides a value
indicating the "credibility" of the location information. This would be
useful when location is determined from multiple sources.
Mark Lewis

-----Original Message----- 
An excellent suggestion. In discussions with the National Emergency Number
Association last fall, the idea of having the source of the location
information identified had strong support. It might be useful (although
perhaps not practical, given the limitations of the DHCP signaling) to
include an identifier/contact information for the provider of the source
location information, e.g., XYZ Wireless or ABC Map Co, or maybe a URI for
the same. 
Nadine Abbott 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
On Behalf Of Henning Schulzrinne 
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 1:20 PM 
To: [email-masked] Subject: [Geopriv] 
Location objects In many scenarios, there will be multiple sources of
location information. I think it would be useful to label location data with
an optional enumerated (not free text) source identifier, such as 
GPS 
A-GPS 
802.11 triangulation 
manual configuration 
location beacon 
geocoded (e.g., translated from geo to civil or vice versa) 
There will be odd-ball scenarios that don't fit into any list of categories,
but I suspect that the vast majority will be drawn from a relatively short
and IANA-extensible list. This allows systems processing this information to
make better decisions when they get conflicting information, for example. By
making the label explicit, we can then also make this part of the privacy
rules. 
Henning

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 15:29:10 -0500

Mark,

how are you going to evaluate credibility on a linear scale? I wish we 
had this for humans :-)

Henning

> useful when location is determined from multiple sources.

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 15:59:53 -0600

At 03:29 PM 2/7/2004 -0500, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>Mark,
>
>how are you going to evaluate credibility on a linear scale?

I'm also at a loss as to how this would be done - and you're not the first 
to suggest this

>  I wish we had this for humans :-)

no kidding

>>useful when location is determined from multiple sources.

cheers,
James

                                *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented