Subject: [Geopriv] Re: draft-jones-radius-geopriv

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:24:15 -0500

schofenig Hannes wrote:

 > hi henning,
 > do you remember our discussions in the washington interim meeting? 
there we
 > considered the http proposals for distributing location information. 
andrew
 > daviels proposed a custom location information format. there we 
argued that
 > we have to consider privacy issues (and therefore our results of the 
geopriv
 > working group). the geopriv working group decided to build their location
 > objects based on xml (and also the policies). some size considerations go
 > along with it (also with the usage of s/mime).

That's putting it rather mildly... Given the trivial structure for the 
basic PIDF privacy information, I'm not convinced that we always need 
the full generality of a GML object. I'd like to hear a technical, 
rather than procedural, argument for disallowing that. (In HTTP, the 
size argument was largely a non-issue.)

There might be more general value in a restricted format, as it could be 
applicable to other limited-functionality and bandwidth/size-constrained 
cases. There is clearly precedent for coding information in multiple 
formats; the DHCP drafts are examples of that.

The other alternative is http://www.w3.org/TR/wbxml/, but that 'note' 
comes with warning labels that indicate that this is not exactly a 
future-proof effort.

 >
 > regarding your dhcp example: the dhcp scenario is a little bit 
different to the radius/diameter example
 > since the location information which is distributed is not only about the
 > visited network but rather about the user (and also used in this sense).

It would be a trivial exercise to embed the privacy flags into a TLV 
encoding.

I have nothing against XML, but I'm worried about declaring it a 
religion where any questioning of its universal applicability is 
considered sacrilege.

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv