Subject: RE: [Geopriv] calling for solution #1

From: "Ciesla, Larry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:07:52 -0600

At the risk of coming very late to this discussion, this may already be
common knowledge and covered by what is proposed (perhaps LMK, but I'm
not sure what that is?)  Two types of addressing anomolies are common in
9-1-1:  Community name abbreviations are common (like CHGO for CHICAGO).
Street name spelling variations tend to be problematic mostly with the
use of prefix directionals, suffix directionals, and thoroughfare
designators (e.g.: N 15th ST might also be North 15th Street.)
Sometimes 9-1-1 systems know a street as Highway 45 that might be
commonly referred to by those living on that street as either Highway 45
or State Road 45 or even Main Street, as is common for a highway passing
from the country through the center of town.  Telephone subscriber
address data today is managed to conform to the "standardization"
imposed by the 9-1-1 community.  That being important mostly so their
computer aided dispatch software can readily identify the location of
the incident based on a common understanding of how location data is
presented.

If you've already got this covered, then please ignore this email.  

Larry Ciesla

Senior Technical Officer

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 3:28 AM
To: Andrew Newton
Cc: 'GEOPRIV WG'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] calling for solution #1

I do not object if it allows moving forward in a timely way... 
-- Peter 

Andrew Newton <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked] 

10.02.05 17:16 

        To:        "'GEOPRIV WG'" <[email-masked]> 
        cc:         
        Subject:        [Geopriv] calling for solution #1

After having read all the response regarding what to do about postal 
addresses for dhcp civic, it would seem that there is no one method 
that is the clear way forward technically, yet there are many people in 
favor of the simplest method: Henning's proposal #1.  That is:

> Assume that only the community name differs between jurisdictional and

> postal addresses (and deal with odd street situations by LMK 
> indication) and add a postal community name. Given that the emergency 
> services community has found this sufficient in four versions of 
> systems designed since the 1970s, there is some indication that this 
> is "good enough".

So I have to ask, is there anybody who vehemently objects to this way 
forward or finds this solution to be so detrimental as it will prevent 
us from revisiting this problem later (if necessary)?  If so, could you 
please provide an explanation?

-andy

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Carl Reed OGC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:05:19 -0700

There is a whole community out there that deals with addresses - and anomalies. URISA has an annual conference just on addressing! The best we can do, as Henning points out, is provide enough flexibility such that responders have enough valid information to reference their run books (fire) or e-911 address databases or whatever authoritive source a community uses to actually direct responders to a given street address.

Regards

Carl

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Ciesla, Larry 
  To: [email-masked] ; Andrew Newton 
  Cc: GEOPRIV WG ; [email-masked] 
  Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 2:07 PM
  Subject: RE: [Geopriv] calling for solution #1

  At the risk of coming very late to this discussion, this may already be common knowledge and covered by what is proposed (perhaps LMK, but I'm not sure what that is?)  Two types of addressing anomolies are common in 9-1-1:  Community name abbreviations are common (like CHGO for CHICAGO).  Street name spelling variations tend to be problematic mostly with the use of prefix directionals, suffix directionals, and thoroughfare designators (e.g.: N 15th ST might also be North 15th Street.)  Sometimes 9-1-1 systems know a street as Highway 45 that might be commonly referred to by those living on that street as either Highway 45 or State Road 45 or even Main Street, as is common for a highway passing from the country through the center of town.  Telephone subscriber address data today is managed to conform to the "standardization" imposed by the 9-1-1 community.  That being important mostly so their computer aided dispatch software can readily identify the location of the incident based on a common understanding of how location data is presented.

   

  Larry Ciesla
  Senior Technical Officer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
  Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 3:28 AM
  To: Andrew Newton
  Cc: 'GEOPRIV WG'; [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Geopriv] calling for solution #1

         

        10.02.05 17:16 

  -andy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------