Subject: [Geopriv] Radius-Geopriv: Who adds location information

From: Tschofenig Hannes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:21:59 +0100

hi all, 

bernard and lionel have sent this question to the mailing list: 

[Lionel]

> ==> Is it so sure that NAS is always the source of location information?
> Couldn't we have scenarios where the location information is added by 
> the RADIUS proxy in the visited network, because the NAS is not able 
> to retrieve the user's location for instance?

[Bernard]

This seems quite likely, in fact.

[hannes] we might not have mentioned this explicitly but we made no
restrictions with regard to the endity that may add location information
(e.g., the nas or a proxy). 

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:02:52 -0800 (PST)

> (e.g., the nas or a proxy).

To be clear, we are talking about a AAA proxy adding the location of the
NAS.  I'm not sure why a NAS would even send user location information if
it had no way of estimating this better than knowing that the user had
authenticated to it.  Since a AAA proxy will not know the user location,
only the NAS location, I don't see how it could add it.

---

From: Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:44:47 +0100

Hello!

> authenticated to it.

There may be situations where a NAS knows the user location at least to a 
certain degree. Imagine some (wired) switch whose ports are patch-paneled to 
outlets on a well-defined location in the building. So it knows that if a 
user authenticates at port A, he is at least very close to a specific network 
outlet in the building.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

-- 
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de 
la Recherche
Ingenieur für Netzwerk und System

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg
E-Mail: [email-masked]     Tel.:      +352 424409-33
http://www.restena.lu                     Fax:      +352 422473

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:00:40 +0200

>(e.g., the nas or a proxy). 
Yes. Do we have a text proposal that explicitly mentions this?

--Jari