Subject: [Geopriv] Radius-Geopriv: Clarifications

From: Tschofenig Hannes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:21:37 +0100

hi all, 

lionel has asked for a few clarifications within the draft. 

[lionel] 

1.  Introduction

   Wireless LAN (WLAN) Access Networks (AN) are being deployed in public
   places such as airports, hotels, shopping malls, and coffee shops by
   a diverse set of incumbent operators such as cellular carriers (GSM
   and CDMA), Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISP), and fixed
   broadband operators.[skip]
   
   [skip] Although the proposed attributes in this draft are intended for
   wireless LAN deployments, they can also be used in other wireless and
   wired networks where location-aware services are required.

==> the need goes beyond location-based services for these networks. The
location information may  be needed in any roaming situation, to enable the
home network to authorize/deny access based on  the user's location (network
and/or geographical location), whatever the access network  technology.
Proposal: replace "where location-aware services are required" by "whenever
location information  is necessary"

[hannes] sounds ok to me. 

[lionel] 

4.1  Use Case 1 - Use of Location Information in AAA

   The RADIUS server authenticates and authroizes the session.  If the
   user's location policies are available to the RADIUS server, the
   RADIUS server may deliver those policies in an Access Accept.  This
   information may be needed if intermediaries or other elements want to
   act as Location Servers (see Section 4.2).  In the absence of
   receiving the policies intermediaries MUST NOT divulge the location
   information.

==> (1) the attributes that convey the policies in the Access-Accept are not
described. 
==> (2) As stated in the section 6 (Policy-Information attribute), policies
can also be put by the  access network and propagated with Access-Request or
Accounting-request.

[hannes] we have updated a new of places in the draft to clarify the
above-raised aspects. 

[lionel] 
==> Do the user's location policies received in the Access-Accept (in the
authorization phase)  also apply to Accounting messages?

[hannes] yes. 

[lionel] 
4.2  Scenario 2 - Use of Location Information for other Services

   Location Servers are entities that receive the user's location
   information and transmit it to other entities.  For the purpose of
   this scenario Location servers are the NAS, and RADIUS servers.  The
   RADIUS servers are in the home network, in the visited network, or in
   broker networks.

   Unless otherwise specified, excluding the proxy chain from the NAS to
   the Home RADIUS, the Location Server may not transmit the location
   information to other parties.

==> I think you mean: "Unless otherwise specified, the location servers MUST
NOT transmit the  location information to other parties outside the proxy
chain between the NAS and the Home RADIUS  server". 

[hannes] your proposal sounds good. i will like a small modification: 
"Unless otherwise specified, location information MUST NOT be transmitted to
other parties outside  the proxy chain between the NAS and the Home RADIUS
server". 

[lionel] 

   Upon authentication and authorization, the Home RADIUS may transmit
   the Rule set in an Access-Accept to the other Location Server
   allowing them to transmit location information.  Then and only then
   they are allowed to share the information.

==> Is it possible to discriminate parties allowed to distribute the
location information to third  parties e.g. only the local access network is
allowed and not intermediary networks (e.g.  brokers)?

[hannes] this is possible with the full set of policies. however, i think,
that it is not  particularly likely. 

[lionel] 

6.  Policy-Information Attribute

   In some environments it is possible for the user to attach
   information about its privacy preferences.  These preferences allow
   the visited network, intermediate RADIUS proxies and the home network
   to authorize the distribution of the user's location information.

==> How do these privacy preferences distributed by the Policy-Information
attribute in the  Access-Request interact with the policies being delivered
by the Home RADIUS server in the  Access-Accept?

[hannes] the policy information carried in the accesss request is only used
when the end host was  able to submit them to the access network. since this
is (today) quite unlikely we will only see  policies in the access-accept. 

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv