Subject: Re: AW: [Geopriv] Re: xcap, common-policy and geopriv-policy

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:52:47 +0300

Inline.

ext Tschofenig, Hannes wrote:
> hi aki,
> 
> it seems that the identity element is very important for you and you 
> would like to address the xcap limitations particularly for the <id> 
> element and other elements that have a child element using <id>.
> 
> the fact that the same problem arises with other elements does not 
> seem to scare you.

Like I said, the same exact problem does occur in all elements, but
seems that the <domain> and <except> elements are the only ones that put
the same type of scare in me that the <id> element does. ;)

This being the inability to blindly add/delete identities, domains,
exceptions from an identity condition of a rule.

It is slightly different from the case that Christian pointed out, I
think, in which you intend to delete the second
<geospatial-loc-condition> from the list, but meanwhile someone has
added a new element to the list, making some other element the second
element on the list.

Now, to get around that you would either use an HTTP request
precondition, or indeed add a unique handle for the elements in an
attribute.

> i was wondering why you mention the aspect of uniqueness. the <id> 
> element is not a key for the rule (it is actually an optional 
> element).

So this is all based on the assumption that the rule maker does not have
an up-to-date local copy of the full list of identities. Every <id>
element includes a string that is unique (there is only one
[email-masked] in the world). This string is also known to the
rulemaker, which makes it a good handle to use in XCAP selectors.

Granted this is a rather big assumption, since there needs to be at
least some prior knowledge of at least the rule ID, and probably also of
the actions and transformations that the rule to be modified includes.

Cheers,
Aki

> ciao hannes

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv