Subject: [Geopriv] RE: Review of draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-04.txt

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:11:49 -0700 (PDT)

> Are you sure? The Location-Information attribute includes a field
> called "Entity", described as follows
> 
>    Entity (8 bits):
>      Describes which location this attribute refers to:
>      (0) describes the location of the user's client device
>      (1) describes the location of the AAA client
> 
> It looks like NAS could use this field to describe which location
> it's sending, or send two Location-Information attributes if it 
> knows both.

But the NAS isn't sending location by default.  So how does the RADIUS 
server that requires a given kind of location indicate what it needs? Keep 
in mind that if the RADIUS server REQUIRES location then it may need to 
send an Access-Reject. 

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:42:45 -0400

The inclusion of the "entity" field reintroduces the problem we had 
with the initial draft, which is that no practical mechanism has been 
identified through which the NAS would know the location of the host 
attempting attachment.

Rather than prolong the illusion, it would be better to eliminate this 
field and let the location attribute refer to the location of the NAS.

John

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:29:32 -0700 (PDT)

> The inclusion of the "entity" field reintroduces the problem we had with the
> initial draft, which is that no practical mechanism has been identified
> through which the NAS would know the location of the host attempting
> attachment.

Existing access points support user location determination, right?
See:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/050505-cisco-airespace.html
http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/rf-location.pdf