Subject: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCPv4
                          and DHCPv6) Option for Civic Addresses 
                          Configuration Information
	Author(s)	: H. Schulzrinne
	Filename	: draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-07.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2005-9-12
	
This document specifies a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCPv4
   and DHCPv6) option containing the civic location of the client or the
   DHCP server.  The Location Configuration Information (LCI) includes
   information about the country, administrative units such as states,
   provinces and cities, as well as street addresses, postal community
   names and building information.  The option allows multiple
   renditions of the same address in different scripts and languages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:08:12 -0500

You are right Henning, ADDINFO doesn't add anything of value.  I had some weird idea that LOC had some associated semantic - perhaps because the example in PIDF-LO was "Room x".

I just wish that it wasn't called LOC, which is to my mind a poor choice of name.

Cheers,
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Tuesday, 13 September 2005 11:40 PM
To: Winterbottom, James
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-07.txt

Winterbottom, James wrote:
> Hi Henning,
> 
> Martin Thomson and I added a couple of extra Civic address types to our
> draft draft-thomson-revised-civic-lo-00.txt, these were SEAT and
> ADDINFO. These might be useful to add to the DHCP civic draft also.

I've added SEAT (CAtype 33).

I'm less convinced of ADDINFO, given that we already have LOC: 
"additional location information". Having several free-text fields with 
somewhat fuzzy boundaries seems likely to cause confusion. The likely 
consequence is that implementations will just concatenate them all...

Henning

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

---

From: "Marc Berryman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:58:35 -0500

Completely agree - Marc B

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 7:49 AM
To: Marc Berryman
Cc: Thomson, Martin; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-07.txt

Marc Berryman wrote:
> Yes, the naming of it as LOC is confusing, but I can see ADDINFO
> containing information in some cases, such as room 112 or inner
corridor
> A.
> Marc B

I agree the term could be better, but that's the term NENA uses, so it 
seemed best not to gratuitously make up a new one, particularly since I 
wanted to make sure that all relevant pieces of MSAG information could 
find a home.