Subject: [Geopriv] Issue 86: Location Identifier in Location-Information Attribute

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 22:15:30 +0200

hi all, 

months ago lionel morand asked whether a 'location ID' (i.e., a
reference to location information) should be added to the radius-geopriv
draft. this issue is described at: 
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/RADEXT/#Issue%2086

we rejected the request since there was no need to include a reference
since we provide the location itself. in his example the 'location id'
value refers to a list of predefined values for some operators. we can
easily provide the same functionality with a few more bits. reduction of
a few bits was not seen as very important for this particular use case
only. no other person cared for this particular issue and asked for
providing this feature. 

now, in a private mail i was pointed to the same issue again. 

here is a link to a document that shows how the location id (or actually
numbering plan) looks like 
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/inr/forms/files/mnc_0605e.pdf

i still think that we don't need this.

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 03:48:16 +0300

Hi Hannes, 

The proposed Location-Id 'feature' could actually be useful e.g.
with UMA and 3GPP GAN services -- helping operators to differentiate
service areas between WLAN hotspots and such. However, I still
think one can exploit e.g. existing civic location TLVs such as LOC
for the same purpose.  

Cheers,
	Jouni

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tschofenig, Hannes
> Sent: 3. syyskuuta 2005 23:16
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Issue 86: Location Identifier in 
> Location-Information Attribute
> 
> hi all, 
> 
> --
> to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
> the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
> archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>
>

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:11:09 +0200

hi jouni, 

if i look at the http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/inr/forms/files/mnc_0605e.pdf
document then i get the impression that the 
country can easy represented using a Location-Information attribute with
the countrycode element and the name of the network using Operator-Name
avp. 

hence, i share your view about the express the same functionality using
existing mechanisms. 

maybe there are other reasons to add such a location-id element/avp but
i cannot find anything at the moment. 

ciao
hannes