Subject: [Geopriv] IETF 63 GEOPRIV Session Minutes

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:28:08 -0400

Here are the minutes for the IETF 63 GEOPRIV Session.

If you have any additions or modifications, please let me know.

-andy

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:46:40 -0400

> If you have any additions or modifications, please let me know.

I would prefer clarification of the points I made on HELD (item 5), 
replacing what you have:

John Schnizlein raised concerns regarding using DNS and DHCP to find 
HELD servers, and specifically noted that the use of DNS in the 
discovery mechanism of HELD does not match the normal uses of DNS.  He 
also noted that there are often disconnects between information given 
out by DHCP and the domains used in DNS configuration of mobile 
devices.  John also identified the issue that determining a location 
based on IP addresses may not be feasible.

with this:

  4 concerns: (a) reliance on "the" access network fails because there 
are often multiple ones - a tunnel for example (b) discovery using DNS 
unnecessarily relies on DHCP, then on a record not intended for the 
public use of DNS, (c) reliance on the domain returned by DHCP does not 
work either: e.g. the domain for the host in my hand is not here in 
France where the access is, and (d) the feasibility of generating a 
location from just an IP address is not clear.

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 17:02:59 -0400

On Sep 9, 2005, at 4:46 PM, John Schnizlein wrote:

> John Schnizlein raised concerns regarding using DNS and DHCP to  
> find HELD servers, and specifically noted that the use of DNS in  
> the discovery mechanism of HELD does not match the normal uses of  
> DNS.  He also noted that there are often disconnects between  
> information given out by DHCP and the domains used in DNS  
> configuration of mobile devices.  John also identified the issue  
> that determining a location based on IP addresses may not be feasible.
>
> with this:
>
>  4 concerns: (a) reliance on "the" access network fails because  
> there are often multiple ones - a tunnel for example (b) discovery  
> using DNS unnecessarily relies on DHCP, then on a record not  
> intended for the public use of DNS, (c) reliance on the domain  
> returned by DHCP does not work either: e.g. the domain for the host  
> in my hand is not here in France where the access is, and (d) the  
> feasibility of generating a location from just an IP address is not  
> clear.

Will do.  Thanks.

-andy