Subject: RE: [Geopriv] coordinates

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:10:13 -0600

Hi Ron,

Hmmm, interesting concept.

So the problems would be:
How do I identify which location is my reference location in a specific
PIDF-LO document.
How do my co-ordinates relate to the reference point (a new CRS I
expect) to specify the actual location.

This does sound like an application specific extension and whilst
potentially useful,  could be done in several ways that would not need
changes to the base PIDF-LO representation providing the application
reading the data had some notion of the intended use. I think this is
the kind of proposal that Andrew Daviel brought to the list last week.

I am not of the opinion that we should continue to extend the PIDF-LO
location representations into an ever expanding application domain. The
location formats that are currently defined do have provisions to allow
application schema extension if desired. My preference would be to use
these mechanisms for your application rather than introducing specific
attributes into the PIDF-LO base for this support.

Cheers
James

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf
> Of Ron Shacham
> Sent: Thursday, 17 November 2005 7:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Geopriv] coordinates
> 
> Hello.
> 
> We have found it useful in a tracking application at Columbia to
support
> the notion of coordinates within a specific place, and represent this
in
> a presence document.  For example, in an auditorium, we wish to keep
track
> of a user's (X, Y, Z) coordinates, with respect to a corner that is
chosen
> as the point of reference. Although the pidf-lo format borrows an
existing
> format for representing civil location, might it nevertheless be
useful to
> extend the format to include such a coordinate element?
> 
> Regards,
> Ron
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Geopriv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv