Subject: [Geopriv] Welcome to Vancouver

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 02:21:00 -0800 (PST)

Following my belated realization that IETF 64 is actually here
in Vancouver, TRIUMF has paid for my registration (I'll probably attend
some multicast and email sessions). So I hope to see you next week.

If anyone is interested in a tour of TRIUMF (we operate the world's
largest cyclotron, have one of the few radioactive particle beam
facilities, and will host a Tier 1 analysis centre for CERN ATLAS physics
data), there are official tours Wednesday and Friday at 1pm.
Informal tours are possible at other times. http://www.triumf.info/

Vancouver is wet at the moment, and promises more of the same
next week with temperatures around 8 Celsius, so bring a
raincoat or umbrella :-)

I bought a GSM cellphone in April; disappointingly, my carrier (Rogers)
say they have "no plans at present" to deploy any location-based services.
I did find a couple of tolerably useful sites on the wireless web, though,
with the help of Google's new WML search, and wrote some small pages
for TRIUMF - basically "how to find us" and "local links"  :
http://tiny.triumf.ca/other.var  XHTML
http://wap.triumf.ca#vancouver   WML
   (I'm not certain of the above URL; I mean the "vancouver" card in
   wap.triumf.ca)

m.vancouverplus.ca has restaurant and entertainment guides, with a
"directions" lookup based on postcode, street intersection or phone
number.

Google of course has been doing interesting things with maps and
satellites, while Garmin has an XML-based data  exchange format:

Meeting site: Westin Bayshore Inn
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1601+Bayshore+Drive%0A%0AVancouver,+BC+V6G+2V4&ll=49.291672,-123.129122&spn=0.004008,0.010519&t=h&hl=en
Google Earth: http://andrew.triumf.ca/bayshore.kmz
GPS Exchange Format: http://andrew.triumf.ca/bayshore.gpx

TRIUMF:
Google Earth: http://andrew.triumf.ca/triumf.kmz
GPS Exchange Format: http://andrew.triumf.ca/triumf.gpx

(kmz is gzipped XML)

-- 
Andrew Daviel
Vancouver Webpages
and TRIUMF
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv