Subject: RE: [Geopriv] coordinates

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:58:56 -0500

Hi, just gotta jump in on this one, 

> Unless you need better than 30 metres accuracy I would just define a
> zone and say that you are in the zone served by the WiFi access point
> and not bother about the triangulation at all.

The important issue being, 30 m does not necessarily get the emergency 
response personnel to even the correct floor in the building.  Even on the 
same floor, 30 m as the crow flies (do crows fly indoors?!) can be a very 
long way via walking (or crawling along the floor), and may be of little 
to no practical help in locating the actual room.  Currently, there is a 
strong requirement in many jurisdictions to locate the exact floor, and 
even individual rooms. 

In TIA (working on enterprise solution, including device location) we have 
recently discussed the idea of defining a "Level I" vs "Level II" accuracy 
where wireless is used.  Level I just uses the single AP, and as you point 
out is a whole lot better than nothing at all, whereas Level II would use 
triangulation or other techniques to get a more exact location. 

-- Peter Blatherwick 

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv