Subject: [Geopriv] XML-based Authorization Policy Language

From: "Hal Lockhart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:41:52 -0500

Members of the Geopriv working group:

I have recently learned that your working group is developing a
XML-based language to describe access control policy for geographic
information.

As the co-chair of the OASIS XACML TC I would like to draw your
attention to the eXtensible Access Control Language (XACML). I believe
XACML is entirely suitable for requirements like yours. XACML 2.0 became
an OASIS Standard in February 2005 and is in the process of being
submitted to the ITU/T.

XACML is referenced in a number of other standards and is beginning to
be implemented in products. There are at least three open source
implementations available. Additional information is available here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=xacml

I and other members of the XACML TC, would be very interested is helping
you to understand how XACML might be applied to your requirements.
Potentially this might lead to defining an XACML profile intended for
this usage. If in the process we discover any requirements that XACML
does not meet, we would be most interested in adding them to XACML
version 3.0, currently under development.

I think it would be a mistake to proliferate a number of incompatible,
yet functionally equivalent authorization languages.

I look forward to discussion of this matter.

Hal Lockhart
BEA Systems
Co-chair OASIS XACML TC

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:44:33 -0500 (EST)

Hal -

This is not a direct response to your email.  However, you might be
interested that OGC members have experimented in the use of XACML and have
developed a geo- profile: GeoXACML, a spatial extension to XACML
(GeoXACML). This is a publicly available OGC document that can be found at
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/index.php?artifact_id=10471

Regards

Carl Reed
CTO
OGC