Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Common-policy: one MIME type, or MIME-type per using protocol

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:00:13 -0800

Andy, Aki,

There were somewhat different views of the existing MIME type in your
mail, so I want to check the consensus, before we Chairs go send
off the review request for the presence-auth-policy+xml MIME type.

Consensus I hear:

The draft should add advice that using protocols may want to mint a
MIME type for their specific protocol policy documents, but it should
still include MIME type application/presence-auth-policy+xml, not
drop it.

Allison

[Non-chair opinion:  we should not make this a MAY or a SHOULD; any particular
using protocol has its own conditions affecting this design decision,
which we cannot anticipation, so, as Marshall Rose would say, we can
include the point without SHOUTING about it]

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:14:23 -0500

> still include MIME type application/presence-auth-policy+xml, not

I'm not sure it should be a per using protocol MIME type.   
Essentially, the difference is the type of XML in the document, each  
of which are specific to a particular type of application which may  
run over multiple using protocols.  For instance, application/geopriv- 
auth-policy+xml could be used over both SIP and HELD.

Of course, I'm willing to change my mind as Aki has had some good  
arguments on this topic already.

-andy