Subject: Re: [geopriv] draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-sighting-00

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:18:08 -0500

A few questions:

1) How many of the 27 elements and attributes described in this  
document are necessary for an Internet host to discover its location,  
rather than for other HELD uses?

2) What Identifier is specified by the sighting function, where  
"Identifier" is as used in this excerpt from  RFC 3693, section 5.1?

        Some variant of the sighting information is included in the  
Location
        Object.  Abstractly, it consists of two separate data fields:

             (Identifier, Location)

3) Since RFC 3693 does not include transmission of rules as part of  
sighting, why is this included in sighting in figure 3?

4) Why are rules transmitted to the Location Generator rather than to  
the Location Server?

5) I did not find the role of the target's source IP address in this  
document.   Where are the description of the feasibility of the  
location determination (I), and/or the applicability statement  
(Henning) requested during the discussion at IETF 64?

6) Considering that HELD is an application protocol, what information  
about the host is available to the Location Generator to enable finding  
its location?

7)  What does the following statement have to do with sighting?

    The protocol described has specific support for mobile devices
    through the assertion of LI to the LG and update URIs, which allow
    the LG to query a Device for its current location.  This feature, in
    combination with Location URIs enables location determination at the
    time that it is needed by the Location Recipient (LR), and in the
    form requested by the LR.

8) Considering: "This document does not define how an LG is discovered  
or configured." How can the sighting communication occur without  
determining the other party to the interaction?

John

On Feb 22, 2006, at 3:09 PM, Winterbottom, James wrote:
>
> The  HELD sighting protocol draft is now available from  
> internet-drafts directory.
>  
> Title:                HTTP Enabled Location Delivery (HELD) – Sighting
> Authors:          J. Winterbottom, M. Thomson, B. Stark
>  
> Abstract
> A Geopriv sighting protocol is described that is used for retrieving  
> location information from a server within an access network.  The  
> protocol includes options for retrieving location information either  
> by-value or by-reference.  The protocol supports mobile and nomadic  
> devices through Location URIs and location update URIs, which enables  
> generation of location information at the Device.  The protocol is an  
> application-layer protocol that is independent of session-layer; an  
> HTTP, web services binding is specified.
>   
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held- 
> sighting-00.txt
>  

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv