Subject: [Geopriv] draft-thomson-geopriv-geo-shape-00

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 21:48:07 -0500

In the draft, it states

> "For interoperability with [3GPP.TS23032], the number of points has  
> been limited to 16".

It seems unnecessary to make this a general restriction. PIDF will be  
used in many contexts where this is not necessary or appropriate. Why  
shouldn't I be able to describe "I'm in Foo County", and provide the  
boundary of that county?

Henning

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:11:07 -0600

>shouldn't I be able to describe "I'm in Foo County", and provide the

I'd also be curious how one would chose which 16 coordinate pairs represent 
the US or Canada or England/UK or Japan without getting seriously out into 
international waters or into another country's territory (think about how 
to get around the Great Lakes between the US and Canada).

I believe someone (our chair Andy?) already showed Manhattan in pairs and 
had to use something like 670.  PIDF-LO can include more, and we shouldn't 
be restricted in operation at this design level.  If an implementation 
wants to maintain interoperability with 3GPP, they can choose to only use 
16 points, and have limited precision in their results, but that's an 
implementation's choice.

You could say something like this:

         "In order to maintain seamless interoperability with 3GPP 
implementations, per [3GPP.TS23032], there needs to be a maximum of 16 
points used."

But this cannot be normative; but just stated as guidance.

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:05:10 -0500

On Mar 4, 2006, at 11:11 PM, James M. Polk wrote:

> I believe someone (our chair Andy?) already showed Manhattan in  
> pairs and had to use something like 670.

I think that was Henning, actually.  I just showed you could not sign  
nearly so many of those GML points and try to stuff them into a  
single 1300 byte UDP packet.

-andy