Subject: [Geopriv] Pre-existing work on location and privacy

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 01:43:28 -0500

I just discovered this document by the old Location Interoperability Forum (now subsumed by OMA as their location group).  It goes into quite some detail on privacy, with some research into the regulatory implications:

http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/affiliates/lif/lif-tr-101-v2.0.0.zip

This is interesting material and worth a read - I haven't finished yet, but I intend to.

Cheers,
Martin 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:23:33 -0400

On Apr 10, 2006, at 2:43 AM, Thomson, Martin wrote:

> I just discovered this document by the old Location Interoperability  
> Forum (now subsumed by OMA as their location group).  It goes into  
> quite some detail on privacy, with some research into the regulatory  
> implications:
>

The following items seem to be different from what RFC 3693 specifies.   
I like the alternative of informed consent through "permission asked".   
I wonder if the principle "disclosed location data shall be of as low  
accuracy as possible for the particular application" should be part of  
GeoPriv.

John

p 11
There are two ways of getting the controllers informed consent for  
collection and disclosure of location data:
1. Permission asked. The authenticated identity of the requesting party  
is presented in an understandable form to the controller. Additional  
information like the planned usage, policy on storage and forwarding to  
third parties and if pseudonymity is offered may also be given. The now  
informed controller decides whether location data may be collected and  
disclosed in this specific case. The controller may optionally give  
permission for a longer period or even permanently.

p 12
The quality or type of disclosed location data can be modified or  
degraded before disclosure to improve privacy. For example, if accuracy  
is at a course-grained level, such as a city instead of a street, this  
might be an acceptable level of privacy for some users or use cases.  
The general rule is that the disclosed location data shall be of as low  
accuracy as possible for the particular application.