Subject: [Geopriv] Explicit Indication of Location Object Consumer

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 13:40:15 +0200

Hi James
Hi Brian,

do you plan to put additional info into the SIP message to indicate who 
should consume the Location Object (explicity rather than implicit info)?

Here is an example: Assume that SIP UA Alice wants to give Bob location 
information (via reference). Now, Alice could easily indicate that it 
wants Bob to resolve the reference and to process the location object. 
Stating this explicitly would prevent proxies to resolve it and to 
process the location object.

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 21:04:55 -0400

I would say no.  If the location is not needed by proxies, then I would say
you MUST protect it (S/MIME), or it will not be private.

If you have to route on it (emergency or otherwise), then you have to send
it with TLS, and the proxies can see it. 

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Hannes Tschofenig [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:40 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Geopriv] Explicit Indication of Location Object Consumer

Hi James
Hi Brian,

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 20:11:46 -0500

I am inclined to agree with Brian here.

I am not sure why a proxy would just pickout a location URI and
de-reference it unless the proxy needed to use it in some way anyway.
Perhaps the example is not such a good one. Hannes do you have something
more concrete in mind? 

> From: Brian Rosen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, 22 May 2006 11:05 AM
> To: 'Hannes Tschofenig'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Geopriv] Explicit Indication of Location Object Consumer
> 
> I would say no.  If the location is not needed by proxies, then I
would
> say

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 01:12:22 -0500

>should consume the Location Object (explicity rather than implicit info)?

Implicit is how I envision Location being in a SIP request message.  A UAC 
needs to know that if the message needs to be routed based on Location 
by-value or by-reference that it does what it knows will work for/at the 
routing element.

>Stating this explicitly would prevent proxies to resolve it and to process 
>the location object.
>
>Ciao
>Hannes
>
>