Subject: Re: [Geopriv] draft-tschofenig-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-02.txt

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:57:51 -0400

On Aug 31, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

> Andrew Newton schrieb:
>> John Schnizlein wrote:
>>> The goal of the document stated in the abstract is correct: "a 
>>> problem statement and lists requirements for a GEOPRIV Layer 7 
>>> Location Configuration Protocol". From the Dallas minutes: "Jon 
>>> Peterson proposed that a document specifying the requirements for a 
>>> layer 7 location configuration or sighting protocol be developed in 
>>> order to facilitate a proper discussion."  However, this document 
>>> does not identify requirements (if any) for a Layer-seven location 
>>> retrieval protocol.  Instead it appears to assume a hypothetical 
>>> protocol is required and discusses characteristics of such a 
>>> protocol.  It does not answer the questions: What problem would a 
>>> layer-7 protocol solve?  Why are other methods inadequate to solve 
>>> that problem?
>> I can't answer all the questions you just asked, but I will answer 
>> one of them.  The layer 7 protocol to dereference a location 
>> reference and the layer 7 protocol to hand out a location reference 
>> do not have to be the same.
>
> John: Do you got the impression that this is the case?
> To avoid confusion I actually stated it in the document. See text 
> below Figure 4.

No, Hannes, neither of my two questions here has anything to do with 
dereferencing.

John

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv