Subject: [Geopriv] Any desire to indicate who inserted location in a message?

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:34:19 -0600

Geopriv

[sent again, as the last one hasn't appeared, yet my test message did 
immediately]

I'm working on the ABNF of the Geolocation header for SIP location 
conveyance, and have discovered a means of indicating which entity 
(currently by type) inserted the location *at*that*URI*, per URI in the 
header  (i.e. this will be a header parameter, not a URI parameter).

For example, if a SIP message includes location-by-value, the Geolocation 
header would have a "cid:" URI that can have a header parameter to indicate 
whether the original phone ( SIP UAC) inserted the by-value location, which 
would be different than if an intermediary server (say a SIP proxy) inserts 
location by-reference.  Here, the Geolocation header would have a reference 
URI, which can indicate that a intermediary (and not the original phone) 
inserted the location.

Here is an example in which there are two locations in a message:

    Geolocation: <cid:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=uac>,
                 <sips:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=proxy>

The above header has 2 locations (one by-value, inserted by the phone) and 
one inserted by a proxy along the signaling path.

An interesting facet of this is the ability to indicate which location the 
message was routed on if a message has multiple locations.  I know this has 
been asked for over the years in both Geopriv and ECRIT. Here is what that 
additional header parameter could look like (notice the "message-routed-on" 
parameter associated with the location-by-reference):

    Geolocation: <cid:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=uac>,
                 <sips:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=proxy
                 ;message-routed-on>

This plays directly to the open issue we have had for some time in the case 
of more than one location within a message, answering "who inserted which 
location?" and "which was used to route the message?".

[ BTW - I'm posting similar messages to this one on the GEOPRIV, ECRIT and 
SIP lists, but not doing one large cross-posting message - as this idea has 
to get multi-list visibility]

Is this a desireable feature/function (indication)?

James 

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Marc Berryman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:18:02 -0600

James,
 I for one would like to have the location values be tagged as you
illustrated, and this is an excellent way to be able to deliver more
than one location with the message.

Marc B

Marc Berryman, ENP
Geographic Information Systems
Greater Harris County 9-1-1 Emergency Network
Houston, Texas      (713) 407-2254
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:59 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Geopriv] Any desire to indicate who inserted location in a
message?

Geopriv

For example, if a SIP message includes location-by-value, the
Geolocation 
header would have a "cid:" URI that can have a header parameter to
indicate 
whether the original phone ( SIP UAC) inserted the by-value location,
which 
would be different than if an intermediary server (say a SIP proxy)
inserts 
location by-reference.  Here, the Geolocation header would have a
reference 
URI, which can indicate that a intermediary (and not the original phone)

inserted the location.

The above header has 2 locations (one by-value, inserted by the phone)
and 
one inserted by a proxy along the signaling path.

An interesting facet of this is the ability to indicate which location
the 
message was routed on if a message has multiple locations.  I know this
has 
been asked for over the years in both Geopriv and ECRIT. Here is what
that 
additional header parameter could look like (notice the
"message-routed-on" 
parameter associated with the location-by-reference):

This plays directly to the open issue we have had for some time in the
case 
of more than one location within a message, answering "who inserted
which 
location?" and "which was used to route the message?".

[ BTW - I'm posting similar messages to this one on the GEOPRIV, ECRIT
and 
SIP lists, but not doing one large cross-posting message - as this idea
has 
to get multi-list visibility]

James

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:19:32 -0500

Now that I understand the proposal better, I also believe this is useful. 
Seems helpful to understand "closeness" to source the location was 
inserted, presumably the closest (the UA) being the most reliable. 

Note: Only responded to the Geopriv instance of this message.  Suggest 
summary get posted to all lists once any noise dies down -- notice Martin 
has responded to ECRIT already for example. 

-- Peter Blatherwick

"James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
08.11.06 15:58

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc: 
        Subject:        [Geopriv] Any desire to indicate who inserted location in a message?

Geopriv

James