Subject: FW: [Geopriv] WGLC on draft-ietf-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-00

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:39:41 +0200

Please find below a number of comments addressing
draft-ietf-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-00. 

1. Section 3 - scenarios mentions Enterprise networks as being within
scope, but there is nothing in the rest of the section and very little
in the rest of the document to substantiate this. I would expect for
example Requirement L7-4 to be impacted by an enterprise scenario. 
2. Section 3 - maybe this is related to the enterprise scenario, but I
do not see the case of a wired Ethernet layer 2 infrastructure being
mentioned explicitly as a scenario or part of a scenario. Ethernet IP
phones are quite widely deployed nowadays, so are IP 'soft phones' that
may run on Ethernet connected hosts, I would say that these scenarios
need to be covered. 
3. Section 5 - determining the switch/port number where a host is
connected does not really require CDP or IEEE 802.1AB, but can simply be
the result of querying the bridge address tables. CDP and IEEE 802.1AB
can help by having the hosts acquire this information, but a LIS could
also query the bridge tables using RFC 4188 (Bridge MIB) tables. It
would be good anyway to expand CDP, spell correctly IEEE 802.1AB, and
provide references for both
4. The DOS attacks described in Section 8 would not affect only the
emergency call applications. Location based billing could be affected as
well. In general I am wondering whether the 'call' terminology used all
over this section is really justified or needed.
5. The Internet-Draft does not include any operations or manageability
considerations or requirements. At a minimum I would suggest that
consideration is given to whether there is need for any prior
configuration of hosts or nodes or LISs involved in the protocol, if yes
how this will be done, what is the level of traffic this protocol is
supposed to generate in a network, are there any dependencies or impact
on other protocols, any means of monitoring the status of the entities
running the protocol and any faults specific to this protocol to be
reported to an operator. 

Dan

--------------------------

All,

This message marks the issuance of a working group last call (WGLC) on
GEOPRIV's Internet Draft entitled "GEOPRIV Layer 7 Location
Configuration Protocol; Problem Statement and Requirements" (draft-
ietf-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-00.txt).  You may view this document at http://
www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-00.txt.

Please post comments and questions to this mailing list no later than 20
February 2007.

-andy, GEOPRIV co-chair

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv