Subject: [Geopriv] GEOPRIV and location signing patent (applications)

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 01:18:00 -0500

Links to the relevant patent applications are here:

20060161967
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=% 
2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch- 
adv.html&r=2&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=Winterbottom.IN.&OS=IN/ 
Winterbottom&RS=IN/Winterbottom

or

http://tinyurl.com/ysrppe

20050190892
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=% 
2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch- 
adv.html&r=161&p=4&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=Dawson.IN.&OS=IN/Dawson&RS=IN/ 
Dawson

or

http://tinyurl.com/2frxrh

20060135177
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=% 
2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch- 
adv.html&r=4&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=Winterbottom.IN.&OS=IN/ 
Winterbottom&RS=IN/Winterbottom

or

http://tinyurl.com/yrryez

Also be advised of this disclosure:
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/nortel-ipr-draft-ietf-geopriv-pres.txt

-andy

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Dawson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 01:38:47 -0600

Andy,

Your tinyurl reference for 20050190892 appears to point to an invention
related to data access management on a SAN. The only common thread is
that one of the inventor's names is Dawson. It's apparent that you've
search for patents by Dawson and Winterbottom - despite what the subject
of the email may imply.

I think this has gone beyond a discussion about IPR encumbrance on
location signing and is probably something I need to pursue through
other avenues.

For the benefit of others, I'll also state 20050190892 does not cover
location signing. I don't know about whatever it is that the Nortel
letter refers to but I'll hazard a guess that it isn't about location
signing either.

Regards,
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Newton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, 8 March 2007 5:18 PM
To: GEOPRIV WG
Subject: [Geopriv] GEOPRIV and location signing patent (applications)

20060161967

or

20050190892

or

20060135177

or

-andy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:51:19 -0500

> search for patents by Dawson and Winterbottom - despite what the  

I'm not an expert on navigating that patent websites, so I have to  
resort to parlor tricks.  The application numbers easily come up via  
Google on a European patent summary site listing the title and  
inventors.  However, the actual patent (application) was not  
available.  Using the summary information, I searched the USPTO to  
get to the actual patent applications.  I can't figure out how to get  
the USPTO to search by the application numbers (help is welcomed).   
Nothing nefarious.

I don't know why tinyurl doesn't get it right, but perhaps the whole  
long URL works.  20050190892 is entitled "Determining the  
geographical location from which an emergency call originates in a  
packet-based communications network" with inventors Dawson, Martin  
C.; (West Wollongong, AU) ; Lewis, Mark; (Aurora, IL) ; Broda,  
Maciej; (Ottawa, CA).  Even if you are not the Martin Dawson on the  
application, the title implies that it is relevant to the current  
discussion in GEOPRIV and ECRIT.

> letter refers to but I'll hazard a guess that it isn't about location

No, but 20050190892 does seem relevant to the primary use case on  
location signing.  The Nortel disclosure is about GEOPRIV and not  
location signing specifically, hence the "GEOPRIV" part of the  
subject title.

-andy