Subject: [Geopriv] http-location-delivery-00 - clarification for "location information"

From: "Arolick, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:08:33 -0400

It would be helpful to provide more clarification and consistency in the
HELD specification regarding whether the term "location information"
refers to only actual location information e.g. civic and/or geodetic
data, or whether it also includes location references, i.e., a location
URI. The following comments are based on location information referring
only to actual location data - in other words, location-by-value; what
can be returned in a PIDF-LO. Based on this, a location reference is not
location information - it is used to obtain location information.

The definition given for "location information" in Section 3 states that
LI is the data that describes location. This text appears to indicate
that a location URI is not included in what is meant by location
information.  An additional definition, "location reference" with text
describing that this is a pointer or key in the form of a location URI
used to retrieve location information via a de-referencing process would
more explicitly highlight that a location URI is not location
information.

Rewording in Section 4 and Section 5 where location information is
discussed is needed for consistency and to resolve ambiguity regarding
the meaning of the term, but in most places the distinction is not
critical to the overall meaning of the text.

Whatever the intended meaning of location information, clarification
would be helpful in Sec 7.2 for the locationType parameter, where
locationURI is included as a type of location information. It is not
clear whether the "any" value includes only location data in civic
and/or geodetic form or also a locationURI. An additional sentence would
allow the flexibility to return actual location information and/or a
locationURI, but not strongly suggest that the LCS create and maintain a
location reference for location requests where a reference was not
explicitly requested.

Existing sentence - The LCS SHOULD return location information in a form
that is suited for routing and responding to an emergency call in its
jurisdiction. (This could be interpreted to not include a locationURI as
it cannot be routed on or used for dispatch as is.)

Suggested additional sentence -   The LCS MAY alternatively or
additionally return a locationURI. 

An additional possible value for the locationType element of "all" or
"both" could be used to explicitly indicate a request for both location
values and a location reference.

Thanks

Eric Arolick

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv