Subject: [Geopriv] slides for daviel-HTML/HTTP drafts

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:59:53 -0800 (PST)

Hannes suggested I do a brief presentation to the WG on Friday in 
Vancouver, but there wasn't time. Robert Sparks said as I'd put something 
together I might as well send it to the list. So here it is:

http://geotags.com/geo/ietf70.pdf

The robot at geotags.com was offline for an extended period but is
running again. Currently using a modified HtDig with a Google map API
replacing the somewhat braindead worldmap interface. Only geo.position
and geo.region (= country + A1) from the previous drafts are indexed.

The HTTP slide shows one potential implementation of the HTTP draft; I 
could put this together (working) today with a cellphone, GPS and laptop, 
but potentially it could be less devices (Nokia E810 plus cellphone using 
Bluetooth, or a single GPS-and-Web-enabled mobile device). For GPS read 
"any source of positioning data", e.g. a location server.

The standard browser and local proxy can be replaced by a modified
browser or one with a custom add-on. One of the authors has done this 
with mobile IE.

The slide with drivebc.ca is just an example of a local traffic site
with realtime road reports and cameras, that would be useful if it 
automatically centered on the driver's location.

A couple of questions were raised about the HTML draft, viz.
adding a LANG element (it was in an earlier draft), and allowing a
by-reference element.

Re. LANG, as the draft refers to legacy HTML documents, the charset and
language of the metadata is by default that of the enclosing document, 
charset as defined in the HTTP response (or http-equiv tag) and language
as defined in the <html> element. If authors bother.
If it was desired to change the default on a per element basis, to
add an alternate for e.g. LMK or A1-6, then as per W3C spec a LANG 
element could be added to META

<meta name="geo.a3" lang="en" content="Munich"\>
<meta name="geo.a3" lang="de" content="Munchen"\>
<meta name="geo.a3" lang="it" content="Monaco"\>
etc.

This could be explicitly stated in the HTML draft. I dropped it
because I thought it was adding more confusion.

Re. reference, it would be possible to add a link element to a full PIDF
XML document, as is currently done for stylesheets in HTML.

I'm a bit reluctant to do this, because it opens up a can of worms about 
one Web document being an authoritative source of information for 
another, which might possibly be on another server or maintained by a 
different person. Also, historically this kind of linked document has not 
been well maintained - stylesheets often go missing, which a few years 
ago caused Netscape 4 to fail. Other browsers are more forgiving.

refs.

http://tools.ietf.org/html//draft-daviel-html-geo-tag-08
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daviel-http-geo-header-05

-- 
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv