Subject: [Geopriv] FYI: UWB indoor positioning

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:05:14 -0800 (PST)

FYI

>From an online New Scientist article:
http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/mg19626345.800-indoor-satnav-could-save-firefighters.html
http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKL1263470020071212
http://www.thalesresearch.com/Default.aspx?tabid=477

using ultrawideband radio to provide positioning information indoors;
the lead article describes an integrated application where firefighters
deploy a temporary system calibrated against GPS receivers in fire trucks
outside

"the firm has one eye on the consumer market. It is working on an IPS for 
GPS-enabled cellphones that will let users extend their navigation 
indoors ... But since that would mean persuading mall and airport 
operators to fix IPS transceivers in their buildings, too, it's some way 
off..."

  -- 
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)
Network Security Manager

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv