Subject: [Geopriv] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:33:13 -0600

Is anyone on this list aware of this ID (or effort)?

It appears to be using URIs to create a geo location without 
Geopriv's knowledge, in a way not discussed on the Geopriv list.

I for one, do not think this work should be anywhere other than in Geopriv.

What does the chair think?

James

>To: [email-masked]
>Cc:
>From: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D Action:draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt
>Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:30:01 -0800 (PST)
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>         Title           : A Uniform Resource Identifier for 
> Geographic Areas ('geo' URI)
>         Author(s)       : A. Mayrhofer, C. Spanring
>         Filename        : draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt
>         Pages           : 15
>         Date            : 2008-02-18
>
>This document specifies an Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) for
>geographic areas using the 'geo' scheme name.  A 'geo' URI provides a
>compact, human-readable, and protocol independent way to identify an
>area by means of a hierarchical tiling scheme.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt
>
>To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
>[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
>the message.
>You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
>to change your subscription settings.
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
>username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
>logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>         "get draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>         [email-masked].
>In the body type:
>         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt".
>
>NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>         how to manipulate these messages.
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:19:18 -0600

I think this was discussed in Prague last year after the other debates
were concluded.

Cheers
James

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf
> Of James M. Polk
> Sent: Tuesday, 19 February 2008 5:33 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Geopriv] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt
> 
> >You can also visit
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
> ><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:52:20 -0600

>I think this was discussed in Prague last year after the other debates

it was?

I don't remember that -- but I'm not as used to traveling as you must 
be (to be able to think for a week with jet-lag)

hehe

Regardless, I think this should be discussed in this meeting, since 
it is very different than anything we have going on now, and there 
may be collisions with other trends or thoughts or efforts.

---

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:04:05 -0600

LOL!!

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/geopriv-0/sld1.htm

I think we have a lot HELD related stuff to talk about too, and this
didn't get air at the last 2 IETFs. We need to decide on the HELD
identity extensions stuff, the dref stuff, and the I would like to bring
attention back to the context management stuff.

Cheers
James

> From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, 19 February 2008 7:52 AM
> To: Winterbottom, James; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Geopriv] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt
>

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:14:11 -0600

>attention back to the context management stuff.

geez, why not hold a HELD BoF and take two hours on the topic?

:-p

;-)

Seriously though - each WG has a responsibility to the community to 
ensure (very) different ways of doing things get air time, to let the 
authors know if their efforts can attract more WG attention (or be 
directed to another WG) and to make sure any not-talked-about effort 
isn't too radical (i.e., could break other things if it were to 
proceed, especially if progressed individually).

James

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:14:19 +0200

I agree with James that it should be discussed in GEOPRIV if this work 
wants to move forward.

So far, I would not put it on the agenda for the next meeting given how 
much work we have to tackle.
Our queue gets longer and longer....

James M. Polk wrote:
>>>> [email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body
>>>>         
>> of
>>     
>>>> the message.
>>>> You can also visit
>>>>         
>>>>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the
>>>>         
>> "FILE"
>>     
>>>>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack"
>>>>         
>> or
>>     
>>>>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
>>>>         
>>> readers
>>>       
>>>>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been
>>>>         
>> split
>>     
>>>>         up into multiple messages), so check your local
>>>>         
>> documentation on
>>

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:45:15 -0600

At 03:14 PM 2/18/2008, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
>I agree with James that it should be discussed in GEOPRIV if this 
>work wants to move forward.
>
>So far, I would not put it on the agenda for the next meeting given 
>how much work we have to tackle.

they've been in queue, according to James W since Prague, and have 
yet to be heard... either we need more meeting time, or something 
else has to give.  Meeting more than once by a WG at IETFs has 
occurred for years - so that is not the obstacle.

If Robert has that many requests for time, I suggest he have another 
meeting time, provided he's up to it and the ADs have nothing against it.

James

>>I don't remember that -- but I'm not as used to traveling as you 
>>must be (to be able to think for a week with jet-lag)
>>
>>hehe
>>

---

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:08:29 -0600

Currently we have 2.5 hour slot.

> Sent: Tuesday, 19 February 2008 8:45 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Winterbottom, James; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-mayrhofer-geo-uri-02.txt
> 
>>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> -------------------------
>>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> -------------------------
> >>>[mf2]
> >>>
> >>

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:05:58 -0800

I was aware of this work and encouraged folks to take discussion to  
the geopriv mailing list because that seemed better than any other  
list for having the right people. The draft was presented in the WG  
before and I seem to recall that the WG provided it with the usual  
kind and helpful advice that flows in most of the email threads. I  
would be very hesitant to add new work to the Geopriv charter right  
given the stuff that is already on it.

Cullen <with my RAI AD hat on>

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 01:13:02 -0600

At 12:05 AM 2/24/2008, Cullen Jennings wrote:

>kind and helpful advice that flows in most of the email threads.

you're obviously right, this was presented in Geopriv a few meetings 
ago -- I was being too focused on the new way (introduced in -02) of 
describing (formatting?) location, as I hadn't seen anything like it 
before, and not on having seen the filename before.  My bad (as my 
daughter would say).

>I

I wasn't suggesting this, just that Geopriv have the avenue to 
comment on the draft and the authors be receptive to those comments 
on a list they were members of as well.

>>>You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D- announce