Subject: [Geopriv] HELD experiment at IETF 71

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:47:31 -0500

I wanted to let folks know about an experiment Hannes, James, and I have 
been working to set up at IETF 71 to see if we can deliver some basic 
location-based applications, using the IETF network as a platform.  The 
concept goes something like this:

+--------+           +-----+           +---------------------+
| Client |---HELD----| LIS |-----------| IETF (NetDisco [1]) |
+--------+           +-----+           +---------------------+

1. Client submits HELD request
2. LIS queries NetDisco (over an ad-hoc interface) for location of an IP
3. NetDisco returns civicAddress XML for the AP to which the requested 
IP is connected, e.g.:
<civicAddress
   xmlns="urn:ietf[tongue]arams:xml:ns[tongue]idf:geopriv10:civicAddr">
   <country>US</country>
   <A1>Pennsylvania</A1>
   <A3>Philadelphia</A3>
   <A6>Market</A6>
   <STS>Street</STS>
   <HNO>1201</HNO>
   <FLR>4</FLR>
   <ROOM>Ballroom A</ROOM>
   <LOC>front right</LOC>
   <PC>19107</PC>
</civicAddress>
4. LIS inserts civicAddress into PIDF-LO into locationResponse and 
returns to Client

James is going to be providing the LIS, based on the open source PHP LIS 
that Andrew Co. have developed [2].

We're still looking for clients.  As a start, we have at least two:
1. The open source HELD client [2]
2. I've made a small Java application that grabs location and posts it 
to a Jabber server as user status information (in a human-readble form); 
I'll send this out once it gets finalized in the next day or so.

Please feel free to send me an email if you're interested in 
participating or helping out in any way.

--Richard

[1] <http://www.netdisco.org/>
[2] <http://held-location.sourceforge.net/>
_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:21:06 +0100

> I'll send this out once it gets finalized in the next day or so.

Feel free to try out the emergency-enhanced Zap! version (available for
Windows and Linux) that Karl Heinz has been working on over the last few
months:

http://ecrit.labs.nic.at/

cheers

Alex

---

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:17:41 -0600

Just mention that the LIS and HELD client I am bring are not the ones currently available from source forge (though they will be very shortly). They are new implementations that:

1) Support IETF-HELD-05
2) Context management-02 
3) HELD client runs as a java service
4) Provides an API library for multiple applications to share the same HELD client

Cheers
James

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Barnes [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thu 3/6/2008 9:47 AM
To: GEOPRIV; Robert Sparks; Hannes Tschofenig; Winterbottom, James
Subject: HELD experiment at IETF 71

--Richard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]