Subject: [Geopriv] W3C location conveyance spec + firefox implementation..

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:53:23 +0200

Hi,

as a followup to my recent mail about location conveyance within W3C -
they have now published a draft of the specification:

http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html

It's Javascript rather than header based, so that any application
running within the browser can request location.

There is already an implementation for Firefox, based around the Loki
API (using WiFi networks triangulation):

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Geode

I recommend to try it out - it works pretty well. For my office for
example, the location determination is ~50 meters off - which is
fascinating, given that i had just to install the extension, and not
change anything on my PC at all!

The extension also does some user friendly location privacy (same look
and feel as the password manager.. "This website requests your
location", with a choice of "exact", "neighborhood", "city", "country"
and "remember this choice")

Alex
_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Carl Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 10:22:46 -0600

Alexander -

The OGC community has begun a limited dialogue with the Geolocation API 
community. While the API appears fairly simple in terms of implementation 
and very useful, there are potential issues with ambiguities in terms of how 
such elements as coordinate reference systems are defined, a possible lack 
of harmonization with existing LS API's, such as the OMA Mobile Location 
Platform API and the OGC Tracking Service API, and so forth. If we truly 
want interoperability across and between all layers in the LS stack and 
between domains, I believe that some harmonization work on the Geolocation 
API is required. I suspect that there are many lessons learned in the IETF, 
OMA, and OGC communities that should be communicated to the Geolocation API 
community. For example, IETF discussions on altitude, time, and so forth. 
Finally, we need to understand the implications of how such an API can be 
utilized in the Next Generation 9-1-1 activity in the US.

Regards

Carl Reed
CTO
OGC

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:40:50 -0700

>utilized in the Next Generation 9-1-1 activity in the US.

I'd second the desire for harmonization here.  It is particularly
depressing to see a spec appear in this space with blank Security
and Privacy considerations.  I've cc'ed the IETF's liaisons to
the W3C in order to ask they consider this issue for discussion
with the TAG.

				Ted Hardie

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:23:20 -0400 (EDT)

Carl

On behalf of the OGC, I have written an extremely detailed set on of
comments for public submission to this group. I am having a review of
those comments done prior to posting. I also think that GeoPRIV community
needs to respond and provide comments, especially to the "TBD" section non
privacy!

Regards

Carl

> This appears to be an input document to a new WG in the W3C (as of mid-
> September);
>    http://www.w3.org/2008/geolocation/
>
> Note that their charter explicitly requires review from GEOPRIV as
> well as the other groups mentioned.
>
> Have you considered giving them feedback directly? That would be the
> most straightforward way to go about it, at this point.
>
> Cheers,
>
>
>
> On 09/10/2008, at 3:40 AM, Ted Hardie wrote:
>
> --
> Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/
>
>

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:15:28 +1100

Cheers,