Subject: [Geopriv] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-barnes-periodic-location-retrieval-00.txt

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:49:13 -0600

Hi folks, 

I submitted this doc which discusses the use of HELD to support the
periodicity of location updates for WiMAX R2 interface, although the
intent of the document is to describe the solution from a more general
perspective.   Unfortunately I didn't include GEOPRIV in the name thus
folks may have missed it: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barnes-periodic-location-retri
eval-00.txt

This is just an initial proposal based on some offline discussions with
some WiMAX folks (and a couple others like James P. and James W.).  The
idea is to get feedback from both sides at this point in time. The
proposal suggests using the HELD context, capability and measurement
extensions. There is also a section discussing some additional
requirements/solution space in order the Device and LIS to be able to
specify the rate for the location requests (in both directions).  My
personal opinion is that this couples the Device and LIS more tightly
and may be less flexible than leaving the rate up to the expiry for the
Location URIs and specific device configuration.

Any feedback would be helpful.  If time allows about 10 minutes in the
GEOPRIV session might be useful in discussing any concerns with this
approach and getting feedback on the latter point.

Thanks,
Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 3:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-barnes-periodic-location-retrieval-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Periodic Retrieval of Location Information by
Devices and Location Information Servers
	Author(s)	: M. Barnes
	Filename	:
draft-barnes-periodic-location-retrieval-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2008-10-27
	
The base HTTP Enabled Location Delivery (HELD) protocol includes
   options for retrieving location information from a LIS by a Device.
   Some networks require the ability for the device to periodically
   request location information from the LIS and/or for the LIS to
   periodically request location information from the device.
   Extensions to base HELD allow a Device to establish a context with a
   LIS and negotiate capabilities of the Device in terms of providing
   location information.  The measurement extensions to base HELD allow
   the LIS to request location information from a Device.  This document
   provides an overview of the requirements and a solution using HELD
   and HELD extensions to support the periodic request of location
information, both by a Device from an LIS and by the LIS from a
   Device, depending upon the specific scenario and measurement
   capabilities of the Device.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barnes-periodic-location-retri
eval-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv