Subject: [Geopriv] Revised charter proposal

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:55:16 -0700

Below is an update of the straw-man charter that we discussed around 
IETF 72.  The revisions are mainly editorial, but there are a few 
significant changes:
-- Marked milestones that have been met as "Done"
-- Removed text calling out third party queries as a special focus, 
since this is subsumed under the general mandate to "create and refine 
mechanisms for the transmission of these [location] representations"
-- Added milestone for DHCP geodetic updates
-- Added milestone HELD identity extensions
-- Added milestone for GEOPRIV privacy architecture

Please submit comments ASAP for discussion at the GEOPRIV meeting on 
Thursday.
--Richard

-----------

The IETF has recognized that many applications are emerging that require 
geopraphic and civic location information about resources and entities, 
and that the representation and transmission of that information has 
significant privacy and security implications. We have created a suite 
of protocols that allow such applications to represent and transmit such 
location objects and to allow users to express policies on how these 
representations are exposed and used. The IETF has also begun working on 
creating applicaitons that use these capabilities, for emergency 
services, general real-time communication, and other usages.

The GEOPRIV working group is chartered to continue to develop and refine 
representations of location in Internet protocols, and to analyse the 
authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements that must be met when 
these representations of location are created, stored, and used. The 
group will create and refine mechanisms for the transmission of these 
representations that address the requirements that have been identified.

The working group will work with other IETF working groups and other 
standards development organizations that are building applications that 
use location information to ensure that the requirements are well 
understood and met, and that no additional security or privacy issues 
related to location are left unaddressed as these location information 
is incorporated into other protocols.

It remains a goal of the GEOPRIV working group to deliver specifications 
of broad applicability that will become mandatory to implement for IETF 
protocols that are location aware.

This working group will not develop location-determining technology. 
However, the IETF acknowledges that information used in the 
location-determination process will in some cases need to be carried 
over the Internet. Where necessary, this working group will develop 
protocols or protocol extensions to encode location-determination data 
structures defined elsewhere. This working group will not develop 
technologies to directly address any particular regulatory requirements 
(e.g. 9-1-1). The group will continue to coordinate with any other IETF 
entities that are working on those problems to ensure the technologies 
created here meet the needs of those entities, and that the 
authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements on the mechanisms 
provided by these technologies continue to be met.

[propose-to-delete]
In addition to the general goals described above, this working group has 
several immediate high-level goals, reflected in the milestones. These 
include

* Completion of layer-7 location conveyance protocol
* Completion a Location Information Server discovery protocol
* Providing an analysis of proposed migration technologies
   used to bring location-aware applications into the existing
   Internet environment. Specifically, this analysis will
   explore the restrictions or additional mechanisms that
   would need to exist to ensure the above authorization,
   integrity, and privacy requirements are met if a third
   party were allowed to obtain location on behalf of an end-user.

[/propose-to-delete]

Goals and Milestones

Done Discuss initial geopriv scenarios and application requirements i-d's
Done Discuss initial geographic location privacy and security 
requirements i-d.
Done Initial i-d on geographic information protocol design, including 
privacy
      and security techniques.
Done Review charter and initial i-ds with AD, and have IESG consider
      rechartering if necessary.
Done Submit geopriv scenarios and application requirements to IESG for
      publicaiton as Informational RFCs
Done Submit security/privacy requirements I-D to IESG for publication as
      Informational RFC.
Done Submit PIDF-LO basic geopriv object draft as a PS
Done Initial Common Rules base object draft
Done Initial Common Ruels GEOPRIV object draft
Done Submit DHCP Civil draft as a PS
Done     Resubmit Conveying Location Objects in RADIUS and Diameter to 
the IESG
          for publication as PS
Done     Submit Additional Civic PIDF-LO types (updating 4119) to the 
IESG for
          publication as PS
Done     Submit minimal HTTP based protocol satisfying baseline requirements
          specified in the Layer 7 Location Conveyance Protocol Problem
          Statement and Requirements to the IESG for publication as PS
Done     Submit PIDF-LO Usage Clarifications and Recommendations (updating
          4119) to the IESG for publication as PS
Done     Submit Layer 7 Location Conveyance Protocol Problem Statement and
          Requirements to the IESG for publication as Informational
Done     Submit recommendations for representing civic addresses in PIDF-LO
          to the IESG for publication as BCP

Apr 2009 Submit Recommendations for Retransmission in SIP Location 
Conveyance
          to the IESG for publication as Informational

Apr 2009 Resubmit Geolocation Policy to the IESG for publication as PS

Jun 2009 Submit a LIS Discovery Mechanism to the IESG for publication as 
a PS

Jun 2009 Submit Requirements for Location by Reference Protocols to the IESG
          for publication as Informational

Sep 2009 Submit an Architecture for Location and Location Privacy
          to the IESG for publication as Informational

Dec 2009 Submit an update to the RFC 3825 DHCP format for geodetic 
location to
          the IESG for publication as PS

Dec 2009 Submit a Document Format for Filtering and Reporting PIDF-LO 
Location
          Notifications to the IESG for publication as PS

Dec 2009 Submit an extension to HELD to support explicit identifiers
          to the IESG as PS

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:56:11 -0500

what about the DHCP Option for an LbyR?

It's currently at rev ietf-geopriv-04

just wondering...

James

At 12:55 PM 3/24/2009, Richard Barnes wrote:
>since this is subsumed under the general mandate to "create and 
>refine mechanisms for the transmission of these [location] representations"
>Please submit comments ASAP for discussion at the GEOPRIV meeting on Thursday.
>--Richard
>
>
>-----------
>
>The IETF has recognized that many applications are emerging that 
>require geopraphic and civic location information about resources 
>and entities, and that the representation and transmission of that 
>information has significant privacy and security implications. We 
>have created a suite of protocols that allow such applications to 
>represent and transmit such location objects and to allow users to 
>express policies on how these representations are exposed and used. 
>The IETF has also begun working on creating applicaitons that use 
>these capabilities, for emergency services, general real-time 
>communication, and other usages.
>
>The GEOPRIV working group is chartered to continue to develop and 
>refine representations of location in Internet protocols, and to 
>analyse the authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements that 
>must be met when these representations of location are created, 
>stored, and used. The group will create and refine mechanisms for 
>the transmission of these representations that address the 
>requirements that have been identified.
>
>standards development organizations that are building applications 
>that use location information to ensure that the requirements are 
>well understood and met, and that no additional security or privacy 
>issues related to location are left unaddressed as these location 
>information is incorporated into other protocols.
>
>It remains a goal of the GEOPRIV working group to deliver 
>specifications of broad applicability that will become mandatory to 
>implement for IETF protocols that are location aware.
>
>protocols or protocol extensions to encode location-determination 
>data structures defined elsewhere. This working group will not 
>develop technologies to directly address any particular regulatory 
>requirements (e.g. 9-1-1). The group will continue to coordinate 
>with any other IETF entities that are working on those problems to 
>ensure the technologies created here meet the needs of those 
>entities, and that the authorization, integrity, and privacy 
>requirements on the mechanisms provided by these technologies 
>continue to be met.
>
>[propose-to-delete]
>In addition to the general goals described above, this working group 
>has several immediate high-level goals, reflected in the milestones. 
>These include
>
>Done Initial i-d on geographic information protocol design, including privacy
>      and security techniques.
>Done     Resubmit Conveying Location Objects in RADIUS and Diameter 
>to the IESG
>          for publication as PS
>Done     Submit Additional Civic PIDF-LO types (updating 4119) to the IESG for
>          publication as PS
>Apr 2009 Submit Recommendations for Retransmission in SIP Location Conveyance
>Jun 2009 Submit a LIS Discovery Mechanism to the IESG for publication as a PS
>
>Dec 2009 Submit an update to the RFC 3825 DHCP format for geodetic location to
>Dec 2009 Submit a Document Format for Filtering and Reporting PIDF-LO Location
>_______________________________________________
>Geopriv mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:00:06 -0700

Thanks, that was an oversight, will add a milestone for that.
--Richard

James M. Polk wrote:
>> require geopraphic and civic location information about resources and 
>> entities, and that the representation and transmission of that 
>> information has significant privacy and security implications. We have 
>> created a suite of protocols that allow such applications to represent 
>> and transmit such location objects and to allow users to express 
>> policies on how these representations are exposed and used. The IETF 
>> has also begun working on creating applicaitons that use these 
>> capabilities, for emergency services, general real-time communication, 
>> and other usages.
>>
>> stored, and used. The group will create and refine mechanisms for the 
>> transmission of these representations that address the requirements 
>> that have been identified.
>>
>> that use location information to ensure that the requirements are well 
>> technologies to directly address any particular regulatory 
>> requirements (e.g. 9-1-1). The group will continue to coordinate with 
>> any other IETF entities that are working on those problems to ensure 
>> the technologies created here meet the needs of those entities, and 
>> that the authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements on the 
>> mechanisms provided by these technologies continue to be met.
>>
>> [propose-to-delete]

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:22:12 -0500

>Thanks, that was an oversight, will add a milestone for that.

thanks!

>>>Below is an update of the straw-man charter that we discussed 
>>>around IETF 72.  The revisions are mainly editorial, but there are 
>>>a few significant changes:
>>>-- Removed text calling out third party queries as a special 
>>>focus, since this is subsumed under the general mandate to "create 
>>>and refine mechanisms for the transmission of these [location] representations"
>>>express policies on how these representations are exposed and 
>>>used. The IETF has also begun working on creating applicaitons 
>>>that use these capabilities, for emergency services, general 
>>>real-time communication, and other usages.
>>>
>>>analyse the authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements 
>>>that must be met when these representations of location are 
>>>created, stored, and used. The group will create and refine 
>>>mechanisms for the transmission of these representations that 
>>>address the requirements that have been identified.
>>>
>>>The working group will work with other IETF working groups and 
>>>other standards development organizations that are building 
>>>applications that use location information to ensure that the 
>>>requirements are well understood and met, and that no additional 
>>>security or privacy issues related to location are left 
>>>unaddressed as these location information is incorporated into other protocols.
>>>
>>>specifications of broad applicability that will become mandatory 
>>>to implement for IETF protocols that are location aware.
>>>
>>>This working group will not develop location-determining 
>>>technology. However, the IETF acknowledges that information used 
>>>in the location-determination process will in some cases need to 
>>>be carried over the Internet. Where necessary, this working group 
>>>will develop protocols or protocol extensions to encode 
>>>location-determination data structures defined elsewhere. This 
>>>working group will not develop technologies to directly address 
>>>any particular regulatory requirements (e.g. 9-1-1). The group 
>>>will continue to coordinate with any other IETF entities that are 
>>>working on those problems to ensure the technologies created here 
>>>meet the needs of those entities, and that the authorization, 
>>>integrity, and privacy requirements on the mechanisms provided by 
>>>these technologies continue to be met.
>>>
>>>[propose-to-delete]
>>>In addition to the general goals described above, this working 
>>>group has several immediate high-level goals, reflected in the 
>>>milestones. These include
>>>
>>>Done     Resubmit Conveying Location Objects in RADIUS and 
>>>Diameter to the IESG
>>>          for publication as PS

---

From: "Roger Marshall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:10:48 -0700

Richard:
Based on what was mentioned (with other support at the mic) in today's
face-to-face geopriv meeting, this is a note to formally request of the
geopriv chairs that the draft-geopriv-lbyr-requirements be immediately
submitted to the IESG for publication, since it has gone through WGLC
and all comments generated from that have been, I believe, sufficiently
addressed.

Thanks in advance.

-roger marshall.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments from your computer and network.