Subject: [Geopriv] Virtual interim

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:40:49 -0400

Hi all,

Richard and I would like to propose a virtual interim meeting for  
Geopriv. In light of the WG consensus on pursuing a backwards- 
compatible update to RFC 3825, we think that having a virtual interim  
to discuss and seek consensus on which specific updates to 3825 are  
of interest to the group could help move that effort forward. 3825  
updates would be the sole focus of the virtual interim.

For those who have never participated in one, a virtual interim is  
just a conference call. We're hoping to schedule a one-hour time  
slot, preferably  during the week of May 18. Unless anyone has strong  
objections to this idea, please fill in your availability to  
participate here: http://doodle.com/8y6f6mk28e3362d9. We're extremely  
limited in terms of timing considering people's time zones, so I've  
included the week of May 25 on the poll also.

As soon as we have a date nailed down we'll send out details about  
logistics and an agenda.

Thanks,
Alissa

---

From: Marc Linsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:36:27 -0400

Alissa,

Did you intend to propose all times at 8am EDT?

-Marc-

On 4/28/09 9:40 PM, "Alissa Cooper" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Geopriv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:31:00 -0400

Marc,

When Alissa and I looked at how the time zones line up (AU, US, FI), 
that seemed like one of the few workable options:
<http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=5&day=18&year=2009&p1=240&p2=224&p3=263&p4=101>

Do you have another suggestion?
--Richard

---

From: Marc Linsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:37:18 -0400

Richard,

I thought it looked unusual that different times weren't offered.

I have no other suggestions, I don't want to be the one to force people to
lose sleep.  I suppose the results of your doodle will provide you with that
information.  :^)

-Marc-

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:40:22 -0400

Right. No matter what time we pick, there will be pain for some  
people. One idea would be to alternate these between undesirable  
options if we end up doing them more consistently, so at least the  
pain is spread around.

Alissa

On Apr 29, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Richard Barnes wrote:

> <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=5&day=18&year=2009&p1=240&p2=224&p3=263&p4=101 
> >
>

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:54:15 -0400

Having had this discussion elsewhere: between 8 and 10 am EDT (popular  
with heavy American/Canadian west coast participation) is about the  
only slot that is only modestly painful, i.e., avoids the small hours  
of the morning, as it puts most of the awkward hours over the Pacific.  
One requirement is to keep the session to no more than 60 or 90  
minutes (which is probably a good idea anyway, since productivity on  
such calls seems to drop off after about an hour, as email and other  
distractions beckon.)

Henning

---

From: "Carl Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:26:08 -0600

For what it is worth - The OGC has dozens of ongoing global activities 
requiring teleconferencing, so we run into this issue all the time. All one 
can do is find the least painful time for all involved - which does tend to 
be around 9 am EST.

Cheers

Carl
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Henning Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
To: "Alissa Cooper" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; "Marc Linsner" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Virtual interim

> with heavy American/Canadian west coast participation) is about the  only 
> slot that is only modestly painful, i.e., avoids the small hours  of the 
> morning, as it puts most of the awkward hours over the Pacific.  One 
> requirement is to keep the session to no more than 60 or 90  minutes 
> (which is probably a good idea anyway, since productivity on  such calls 
> seems to drop off after about an hour, as email and other  distractions 
> beckon.)
>
> Henning
>
>> Right. No matter what time we pick, there will be pain for some  people. 
>> One idea would be to alternate these between undesirable  options if we 
>> end up doing them more consistently, so at least the  pain is spread 
>> around.
>>
>> Alissa

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:47:52 -0500

5am PDT is anything but pain free for an entire coast of companies based there.

This also prevents some of us from attending across the US because it 
impacts when we take our kids to school (though that isn't the case 
for EDT - as the kids will already be in school).

Color me silly - but my daughter does come before anything work related.

James

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:19:26 -0500

I have the same issue, except my kids are not in school on the 28th, so
I could make that one day.  But, I do understand the difficulty in
scheduling to meet everyone's schedules. 

Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of James M. Polk
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 11:48 AM
To: Richard Barnes; Marc Linsner
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Virtual interim

5am PDT is anything but pain free for an entire coast of companies based
there.

This also prevents some of us from attending across the US because it
impacts when we take our kids to school (though that isn't the case for
EDT - as the kids will already be in school).

James

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:51:23 -0400

Alright, let's try this again:

I've edited the doodle poll to include three time options (8:00, 10:00  
and 16:00 EDT) for each of the five days of the week of May 18. Here  
is the link: http://doodle.com/8y6f6mk28e3362d9

If you've already voted, you'll have to re-enter your vote. If you  
haven't voted yet, please vote before this Friday, May 1 at 1:00pm EDT.

If we end up with votes segregated into two groups we may just have to  
flip a coin. ;)

Alissa

On Apr 29, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Mary Barnes wrote:

> for