Subject: [Geopriv] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC4119 (1771)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 21:19:52 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4119,
"A Presence-based GEOPRIV Location Object Format".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4119&eid=1771

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>

Section: 2.3

Original Text
-------------
 <presence xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf"
    xmlns:gp="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:geopriv10"
    xmlns:cl=" urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:geopriv10:civicLoc"
    entity="pres:[email-masked]">
...
      <gp:usage-rules>
        <gp:retransmission-allowed>no</gp:retransmission-allowed>
        <gp:retention-expiry>2003-06-23T04:57:29Z</gp:retention-expiry>
      </gp:usage-rules>

Corrected Text
--------------
 <presence xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf"
    xmlns:gp="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:geopriv10"
    xmlns:gbp="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:geopriv10:basicPolicy"
    xmlns:cl="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:geopriv10:civicLoc"
    entity="pres:[email-masked]">
...
      <gp:usage-rules>
        <gbp:retransmission-allowed>no</gbp:retransmission-allowed>
        <gbp:retention-expiry>2003-06-23T04:57:29Z</gbp:retention-expiry>
      </gp:usage-rules>

Notes
-----
This applies to both examples in Section 2.3.  The use of the "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:geopriv10" namespace for the retransmission-allowed and retention-expiry elements is incorrect.  These elements are defined in the "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:geopriv10:basicPolicy" namespace.

This does not manifest in an error in parsers due to the allowance for extensions.  The XML schema <any> rule with processContents="lax" permits unknown elements, as these are.  A schema-aware processor would not reliably detect these elements, potentially leading to them being ignored.

To reveal this problem, validate these examples against a schema with processContents="strict" on all <any> elements.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC4119 (draft-ietf-geopriv-pidf-lo-03)
--------------------------------------
Title               : A Presence-based GEOPRIV Location Object Format
Publication Date    : December 2005
Author(s)           : J. Peterson
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Geographic Location/Privacy
Area                : Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG