Subject: Re: [Geopriv] ISO TC 211 work and related GeoPRIV work (such as URI)

From: "Carl Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:39:39 -0600

All -

There is a new ISO draft document (stage 0) titled Geographic information - 
Logical location identification scheme (ISO 19151) - that is moving through 
the process in TC 211 (geomatics). I let the authors of this document know 
of the work in the GeoPriv WG and the possibility that the two activities 
are complementary but at this point perhaps also overlapping. Some snippets 
from the document are below.

So, I suggested that perhaps the relevant parties get together for a one day 
meeting at the late September OGC meetings in Darmstadt, Germany. If anyone 
is interested, please let me know. I can also provide a draft of the 19151 
document. As ISO has rather strict rules regarding such joint meetings, we 
need to know whether we can schedule such a meeting at least by the end of 
next week.

Also, if anyone from the IETF community wishes to attend the joint meeting, 
the OGC will waive all registration fees.

Thanks and regards

Carl

1         Scope
This Standard proposes a logical position identification scheme, u-Position 
to be used for referencing spatial information in any distributed 
environments without physical position data such as coordinates.
This Standard specifies
.  u-Position naming scheme and
.  interfaces for operations to handle u-Positions.

1.1  U-Position URI
The u-Position is a logical and seamless expression of spatial reference in 
the form of a label or a code that identifies a location. The naming scheme 
of the u-Position(called u-Position URI) is defined based on URI syntax and 
ABNF notation, as described in IETF RFC 3986(Uniform Resource Identifier 
(URI) : Generic Syntax) and RFC2234(ABNF: the Augmented Backus-Naur Form). 
The u-Position URI is used to indicate or access spatial information. The 
u-Position URI syntax consists of a hierarchical sequence of four components 
referred to as the scheme, host, port, and path_upos. The scheme, host, 
path_upos are required, and the port is optional. 'path_upos' must begin 
with a slash ("/").

u-Position URI = "upos" ":" "//" host [ ":" port ] path-upos

EXAMPLE: upos://scientists.org:1028/charles_darwin

EXAMPLE: upos://scientists.org/uk1_scientist/charles_darwin

EXAMPLE: upos://164.125.2.5:1028/uk1_scientist/charles_darwin

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO and Executive Director Specification Program
OGC

The OGC: Helping the World to Communicate Geographically

---------------------

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of 
addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged 
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, 
disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are 
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender  immediately by return 
email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." -- Albert Einstein
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Life is 
either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller