Subject: [Geopriv] Document Action: 'GEOPRIV Layer 7 Location Configuration Protocol; Problem Statement and Requirements' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'GEOPRIV Layer 7 Location Configuration Protocol; Problem Statement and 
   Requirements '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-10.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-l7-lcp-ps-10.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes the problems posed by a need for a "layer-
seven" location configuration protocol (L7LCP) in IP networks, and
states requirements for such a protocol. Location configuration, in
this document, is the process by which IP endpoints acquire their own
location from a network to which they are connected. A configuration
protocol that operates at layer 7 (i.e., the application layer) is
needed in order to be deployable in many different types of access
networks without major modification to lower-layer devices in the
network. The distribution of location information is a privacy-
sensitive task. This document describes the privacy risks introduced
by design choices in an L7LCP and how these risks can be mitigated.

WG Summary

The WG reached consensus to advance this document. It was produced by
an L7LCP design team and went through several revisions in response to
WG comments. Initial versions of the document were much broader in
scope, and the WG agreed that many sections (e.g., sections on
location URIs and on VPN considerations) could be removed from the
document without affecting the main content that relates specifically
to the development of an L7LCP. There is broad consensus that the
current, more tightly-focused document is ready to advance.

Document Quality

The document was reviewed in depth by the GEOPRIV Working Group. The
document is the product of an in-depth discussion of location
configuration issues by the L7LCP design team, which led to an initial
draft that addressed a wide variety of location-relevant concerns.
Several of these concerns sparked significant controversy and were not
directly relevant to an L7LCP. As a result, these issues have been
spun off into separate documents, and the remaining core L7LCP
document now constitutes a focused description of L7LCP requirements.

Personnel

The WG Chair was Robert Sparks, the Proto Shepherd is Richard Barnes
and the Responsible Area Director is Cullen Jennings.