Subject: [Geopriv] LIS in geopriv-arch

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:24:11 -0400

Following up on our discussion at IETF 75 about how to characterize  
the term LIS in geopriv-arch, I've come up with some new language that  
I hope covers all the bases while remaining consistent with what the  
WG is publishing elsewhere (l7-lcp-ps, lbyr-requirements, lis- 
discovery, held) and with what people think of when they hear the term  
"LIS." Here is the current language in geopriv-arch-00:

3.2.2. Location Configuration

    Some performing the Location Generator role are designed only to
    provide Targets with their own locations (as opposed to distributing
    a Target's location to others).  The process of providing a Target
    with its own location is known within Geopriv as Location
    Configuration, and the LG that provides such location is often
    described as a Location Information Server (LIS).  Protocols used
    exclusively to communicate location from a LIS to a Target are known
    as Location Configuration Protocols [8].  Several such protocols  
have
    been developed within Geopriv [9][10][11][12].

    By definition, a LIS needs only to follow a simple privacy- 
preserving
    policy: transmit a Target's location only to the Target itself.   
This
    is known as the "LCP policy."

    Importantly, if an LS is also serving in the role of LG and it has
    not been provisioned with Privacy Rules for a particular Target, it
    MUST follow the LCP policy, whether it is a LIS or not.  In the
    positioning phase, an entity serving the roles of both LG and LS  
that
    has not received Privacy Rules must follow this policy.  The same is
    true for any LS in the distribution phase.

I propose the following (the last paragraph is unchanged):

3.2.2. Location Configuration

    Some performing the Location Generator role are designed only to
    provide Targets with their own locations (as opposed to distributing
    a Target's location to others).  The process of providing a Target
    with its own location is known within Geopriv as Location
    Configuration. The term Location Information Server (LIS) is often  
used
    to describe the entity that performs this function (although a LIS  
may also
    perform other functions, such as providing a Target's location to  
other entities).  Protocols used
    exclusively to communicate location from a LIS to a Target are known
    as Location Configuration Protocols [8].  Several such protocols  
have
    been developed within Geopriv [9][10][11][12].

    A LIS whose sole purpose is to perform Location Configuration need  
only follow a simple privacy-preserving
    policy: transmit a Target's location only to the Target itself.   
This
    is known as the "LCP policy."

    Importantly, if an LS is also serving in the role of LG and it has
    not been provisioned with Privacy Rules for a particular Target, it
    MUST follow the LCP policy, whether it is a LIS or not.  In the
    positioning phase, an entity serving the roles of both LG and LS  
that
    has not received Privacy Rules must follow this policy.  The same is
    true for any LS in the distribution phase.

Thoughts?

Alissa

---

From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:26:07 +0300

Sounds good to me.  

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] 
>[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alissa Cooper
>Sent: 11 September, 2009 19:24
>To: GEOPRIV
>Subject: [Geopriv] LIS in geopriv-arch
>
>Following up on our discussion at IETF 75 about how to 
>characterize the term LIS in geopriv-arch, I've come up with 
>some new language that I hope covers all the bases while 
>remaining consistent with what the WG is publishing elsewhere 
>(l7-lcp-ps, lbyr-requirements, lis- discovery, held) and with 
>what people think of when they hear the term "LIS." Here is 
>the current language in geopriv-arch-00:
>
>    as Location Configuration Protocols [8].  Several such 
>protocols have
>    By definition, a LIS needs only to follow a simple 
>privacy- preserving
>    positioning phase, an entity serving the roles of both LG 
>and LS that
>    Configuration. The term Location Information Server (LIS) 
>is often used
>    to describe the entity that performs this function 
>(although a LIS may also
>    perform other functions, such as providing a Target's 
>location to other entities).  Protocols used
>    as Location Configuration Protocols [8].  Several such 
>protocols have
>    A LIS whose sole purpose is to perform Location 
>Configuration need only follow a simple privacy-preserving
>    positioning phase, an entity serving the roles of both LG 
>and LS that
>_______________________________________________
>Geopriv mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv
>

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:43:06 -0500

> Sounds good to me.

+1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

---

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:25:13 -0500

+1

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf
> Of Thomson, Martin
> Sent: Tuesday, 15 September 2009 10:43 AM
> To: Hannes Tschofenig; Alissa Cooper; GEOPRIV
> Subject: Re: [Geopriv] LIS in geopriv-arch
> 
> > Sounds good to me.
> 
> +1
> 
> 
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> ----------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> ----------------------