Subject: Re: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #8: Altitude type of 0 == no altitude

From: "geopriv issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:29:48 -0000

#8: Altitude type of 0 == no altitude
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |        Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                     |       Status:  new                      
 Priority:  major                      |    Milestone:                           
Component:  rfc3825bis                 |      Version:                           
 Severity:  -                          |   Resolution:                           
 Keywords:  altitude                   |  
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Comment(by [email-masked]):

 Here is the text from draft-thomson-geopriv-3825bis-03:

 2.4.1.  No Known Altitude (AT = 0)

    In some cases, the altitude of the location might not be known.  An
    altitude type of 0 indicates that the altitude is not known.  In this
    case, the altitude and altitude uncertainty fields can contain any
    value and are ignored.

 Is this text a satisfactory resolution to the issue?

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/trac/ticket/8#comment:2>
geopriv <http://tools.ietf.org/geopriv/>

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:08:51 -0500

>#8: Altitude type of 0 == no altitude

This doesn't satisfy the basic need to be able to provide location in 
2D, where altitude simply isn't given (either because it is not known 
or it doesn't matter to the location provider (i.e., the sighter 
(dare I use that word :-) or measuring equipment result such as a 
wiremap database).

A lot of times (like probably 90% of the time), location in 2D is 
satisfactory.  From the client's point of view, it will not learn the 
location, but that doesn't necessarily mean the location isn't known 
to the server (and it didn't provide it for whatever reason).

I suggest this subtle rephrasing of section 2.4.1:

2.4.1. Altitude Not Provided  (AT = 0)

    In some cases, the altitude of the location might not be provided. An
    altitude type of 0 indicates that the altitude is not given to the client.
     In this case, the altitude and altitude uncertainty fields can contain any
    value and MUST be ignored.

this last 'MUST' is so that implementations do not use the fields 
unless they want to be considered 'out of compliance', which may be 
fine with proprietary (augmented) implementations - but it does 
remove any doubt about how the client is to interpret the 2 fields 
according to this spec.

James

>_______________________________________________
>Geopriv mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:45:58 -0500

I have no problem with this.  It only states what I had intended more vehemently.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, 11 September 2009 6:09 AM
> To: [email-masked]; Thomson, Martin; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #8: Altitude type of 0 == no altitude
> 
> >Ticket URL:
> <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/trac/ticket/8#comment:2>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]