Subject: Re: [Geopriv] geo-URI and geoSMS - heads-up

From: "Carl Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:43:59 -0600

There is an activity that started in Taiwan to specify a standard for geo enabled SMS messages. They brought this work into the OGC and the OGC is now the forum for continued discussions. I made the geoSMS community aware of the work on geo-URI. I suspect that that one or two geoSMS folks will be subscribing to the GeoPriv WG and hoping to collaborate on the geo-URI document so that the approaches are consistent.

Regards

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO and Executive Director Specification Program
OGC

The OGC: Helping the World to Communicate Geographically

---------------------

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender  immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." -- Albert Einstein 
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller

---

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:47:32 +0200

> There is an activity that started in Taiwan to specify a 
> standard for geo enabled SMS messages. They brought this work 
> into the OGC and the OGC is now the forum for continued 
> discussions. I made the geoSMS community aware of the work on 
> geo-URI. I suspect that that one or two geoSMS folks will be 
> subscribing to the GeoPriv WG and hoping to collaborate on 
> the geo-URI document so that the approaches are consistent.

Carl,

Thanks for the heads-up. The geo-URI draft has now got some
post-working-group comments from the responsible Area Director (mostly
about the registry for CRS values - they recommend a seperate IANA
registry for this).

I've been pretty busy over the last few days, but i hope to update the
draft later this week to adress those comments (which should then allow
the draft to progress further on the publishing process, towards IESG
Evaluation..)

I'm more than happy to hear the ideas from the geo-enabled SMS message
group. If it doesn't fit perfectly into the GROPRIV WG, we can also take
this off-list.

Alex

---

From: "Carl Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:42:04 -0600

Alexander -

Thanks. The GeoSMS folks are also quite interested in the geo-URI work (as 
are the Koreans and the u-City initiative) and wish to work for consistency.

Also, in terms of a registry of CRS values, why not use the OGP/EPSG 
registry?

Regards

Carl