Subject: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #26: Redundant versioning capability

From: "geopriv issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 04:48:18 -0000

#26: Redundant versioning capability
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  martin.thomson@…           |       Owner:  jmpolk@…        
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new             
 Priority:  minor                      |   Milestone:                  
Component:  dhcp-lbyr-uri-option       |     Version:                  
 Severity:  Active WG Document         |    Keywords:  version         
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 The version/reserved byte provided for the DHCP Lbyr option is
 unnecessary.

 Sub-options already provide the ability to version the option.  New
 versions of the option can simply use new code points.  Additional
 features that might be included in the reserved space can also use new
 code points.

 Using new code points can also ensure backward compatibility in a way that
 we are unable to achieve with fixed formats like RFC3825(bis).

 Furthermore, the version/reserved byte renders the type incompatible with
 existing software that is able to generically support DHCP sub-options.

 Removing this redundant byte ensures that the option is more readily
 deployable.

 (Helping delay the eventual exhaustion of bytes, one at a time!)

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/trac/ticket/26>
geopriv <http://tools.ietf.org/geopriv/>