Subject: [Geopriv] geolocation compare

From: Bradley Huffaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:07:14 -0800

CAIDA plans to conduct a comparison of geolcocation tools for                   
determining the location of Internet Protocal (IP) address (and other           
identifiers) in the summer of 2010.                                             
                                                                                
At this time we wish to receive feedback from interested parties                
on input to the comparison survey, whether they wish to participate             
and in what capacity.                                                           
                                                                                
    * What is your primary interest in geolocation services?                    
      Legal, academic, content localization, disaster preparedness,             
      regulation, ...                                                           
                                                                                
    * Can you provide ground truth geolocation information for your             
      organization?                                                             
                                                                                
    * Do you have suggested metrics, questions, or tests to include in          
      the comparisons?                                                          
                                                                                
    * If you provide a geolocation service, under what conditions would         
      you be willing to participate?                                            
                                                                                
    * If you use a Geolocation service(s), which do you use and in what         
      way?                                                                      
                                                                                
    * Which companies do you consider to be the primary providers of            
      geolocation services at this time?                                        
                                                                                
Please send any comments to: [email-masked]                          
                                                                                
Details can be found: http://www.caida.org/projects/cybersecurity/geolocation/  

-- 
  "Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, 
  and let each new year find you a better man."  - Benjamin Franklin

---

From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:14:52 +0100

Interesting activity. 

I suggest that you talk to the working group chairs, Bradley, since this group has worked on protocol mechanisms to obtain high-quality location information based on IP-address (and other information) information in a privacy sensitive way (unlike some other mechanisms you might have been looking at).

Ciao
Hannes
 
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:07:14 -0800
> Von: Bradley Huffaker <[email-masked]>
> An: [email-masked]
> Betreff: [Geopriv] geolocation compare

> Details can be found:
> http://www.caida.org/projects/cybersecurity/geolocation/  
> 
> -- 
> _______________________________________________
> Geopriv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:30:23 -0500

Actually, he asked the chairs before he sent to the list :)

If I understand correctly, the CAIDA program is more focused on  
comparing implementations than on protocol issues.  I invited him to  
ping the geopriv list in case there were any implementors on here that  
might be interested.

On Jan 6, 2010, at 3:14 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

> Interesting activity.
>
> I suggest that you talk to the working group chairs, Bradley, since  
> this group has worked on protocol mechanisms to obtain high-quality  
> location information based on IP-address (and other information)  
> information in a privacy sensitive way (unlike some other mechanisms  
> you might have been looking at).
>
> Ciao
> Hannes
>