Subject: [Geopriv] IP -> LIS privacy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:39:54 -0800

Re: Ted's question about whether there's any privacy issue with third 
parties knowing the mapping from an IP to the relevant LIS.

My position is that the mapping from IP address to ISP is either a matter 
of public record (e.g. RIR databases) or easily discoverable (e.g. via 
traceroute).

Further the URI of any particular ISP's LIS is unlikely to be kept secret. 
 Indeed it's very likely to be secret since the ISP's own customers need 
to know it.

Hence there's little to no benefit in _not_ publishing a direct mapping 
from IP address to LIS URI, but substantial public benefit in the 
emergency services case.

Ray

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:00:14 -0700

Hi Ray,

I think Jon's point was better made than mine--this needs an actual
description in the
draft, rather than a reference to the DHCP considerations, which are
clearly different.

I also note that this isn't quite the same as the IP mapping to an
ISP, since it is conceivable using this system that it would reveal a
LIS stood up by the customer.  If a large enterprise tells the ISP
that they wish to manage their own LIS, they can have the ISP what to
populate the U-NAPTR records with, without having the ISP run the LIS.
revealing the URI of that LIS may leak different data than would be
leaked by whois or the RIR allocation data.

But in any case, this needs better text in the draft that asserts
something about the privacy implications.

regards,

Ted

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:39 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> My position is that the mapping from IP address to ISP is either a matter of
> public record (e.g. RIR databases) or easily discoverable (e.g. via
> traceroute).
>
>  Indeed it's very likely to be secret since the ISP's own customers need to
> know it.
>
> Hence there's little to no benefit in _not_ publishing a direct mapping from
> IP address to LIS URI, but substantial public benefit in the emergency
> services case.
>
> Ray
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Geopriv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv
>
>