Subject: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #35: IANA Considerations

From: "geopriv issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:49:48 -0000

#35: IANA Considerations
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…            |       Owner:  bernard_aboba@…           
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new                       
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:  draft-ietf-geopriv-3825bis
Component:  rfc3825bis                 |     Version:  1.0                       
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |    Keywords:                            
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 In -09, material relating to IANA considerations is included in sections
 other than IANA Considerations section.  In order to make it more likely
 that IANA will correctly interpret the guidance, it is advisable to
 consolidate guidance relating to parameter allocation into the IANA
 Considerations section.

 Proposed text:

 4.  IANA Considerations

    IANA has assigned a DHCPv4 option code of 123 for the GeoConf option
    defined in this document.  Assignment of a DHCPv6 option code is
    requested.

    The GeoConf Option defines two fields for which IANA maintains a
    registry: The Altitude Type (AT) field and the Datum field (see
    Section 2).  The datum indicator MUST include specification of both
    horizontal and vertical datum.  New values for the Altitude Type (AT)
    and Datum fields are assigned through "Standards Action" [RFC5226].
    New Altitude Types and datums MUST define the way that the 30 bit
    value and the associated 6 bit uncertainty are interpreted.  The
    initial values of the Altitude registry are as follows:

    AT = 1  meters of altitude defined by the vertical datum specified.

    AT = 2  building floors of altitude.

    Datum = 1 denotes the vertical datum WGS 84 as defined by the EPSG as
            their CRS Code 4327; CRS Code 4327 also specifies WGS 84 as
            the vertical datum

    Datum = 2 denotes the vertical datum NAD83 as defined by the EPSG as
            their CRS Code 4269; North American Vertical Datum of 1988
            (NAVD88) is the associated vertical datum for NAD83

    Datum = 3 denotes the vertical datum NAD83 as defined by the EPSG as
            their CRS Code 4269; Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW) is the
            associated vertical datum for NAD83

    This document defines the Ver field for the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6
    options.  New values for the Ver field are assigned through
    "Standards Action" [RFC5226].  Initial values are as follows:

    0: DHCPv4 Implementations conforming to [RFC3825]
    1: Implementations of this specification (for both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6)

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/trac/ticket/35>
geopriv <http://tools.ietf.org/geopriv/>

---

From: "geopriv issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:55:03 -0000

#35: IANA Considerations
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…            |        Owner:  bernard_aboba@…           
     Type:  defect                     |       Status:  closed                    
 Priority:  major                      |    Milestone:  draft-ietf-geopriv-3825bis
Component:  rfc3825bis                 |      Version:  1.0                       
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |   Resolution:  fixed                     
 Keywords:                             |  
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
Changes (by bernard_aboba@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/trac/ticket/35#comment:1>
geopriv <http://tools.ietf.org/geopriv/>

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:59:14 +0800

Section 2.4.1 defines "No Known Altitude (AT = 0), which is missing from this section, as it was in RFC 3825.

>     value and the associated 6 bit uncertainty are interpreted.  

For the datums, the value is 34 bits.

(I only just noticed the spare bit in AltUnc... Strange how these things go unnoticed.)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of geopriv issue tracker
> Sent: Tuesday, 22 June 2010 4:50 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #35: IANA Considerations
> 
> #35: IANA Considerations
> _______________________________________________
> Geopriv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 00:24:54 -0700

Added AT = 0 to the IANA Considerations section.  

Propose to change: "New Altitude Types and datums MUST define the way that the
 30 bit value and the associated 6 bit uncertainty are 
interpreted."  

To:

"   New Altitude Types and datums MUST define the way that the altitude
   values, datums and the associated 6 bit uncertainty are interpreted."

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:59:14 +0800
> Subject: RE: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #35: IANA Considerations
>

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:56:17 -0700

Found (different) statements about datum definition in Sections 2.3 and 2.4.

Proposal is to remove text from those sections and to place the following
text in the IANA considerations section:

"New Altitude Types MUST define the way that the 30 bit altitude

values and the associated 6 bit uncertainty are interpreted.

New datums MUST define the way that the 34 bit values and the

respective 6 bit uncertainties are interpreted."

From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:25 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #35: IANA Considerations

Propose to change: "New Altitude Types and datums MUST define the way that
the 30 bit value and the associated 6 bit uncertainty are interpreted."  

To:

> > Reporter: bernard_aboba@. | Owner: bernard_aboba@.